free website stats program Progressive VS Ohlins Shocks | Harley Davidson Forums

Progressive VS Ohlins Shocks

Mongo1958

I've been thinking of upgrading the shocks for a while and since there was a recent thread where one of the guys replaced his shocks. I thought I'd give it a go too.
I went to progressive and saw that the 944 is made in the USA with a lifetime warranty. I'm intrigued so I'll check them out.
I see the "BIG" Life time warranty in big bold graphics. Let's dig a bit more. NOT covered under normal wear and tear???? Sigh! For Real?

So I'm now thinking of spending a bit more for a set of Ohlins. I'll ride up the North Carolina get a set installed and ride the Blue ridge parkway.
Man I love it when a plan comes together. Yeah, Come On!
upload_2016-5-22_8-57-7.png

upload_2016-5-22_8-57-46.png

Seems that when someone starts talking about upgrading a part of their bike I seem to notice I should do the same. Like you are talking about. Me and the wife rode up scenic Hwy 7 and noticed the rode was exceptionally rough or the bike was, not sure which. Had the 2014 limited air adjusted correct at 45 psi. Not exactly understanding how an air shock wears out if it will hold air. Thoughts? I was up that way a couple weeks ago and love the riding in that area. We stayed in Townsend Tennessee. Wish I could come!!!

Yeah you got that right, when someone has an issue with their bike, I seem to take note on my bike and say to myself, "I should take care of that". I comparing solutions that others have used and come up with a plan.
The last time I was 2 up I could really feel it. My rear suspension is feeling VERY mushy almost at the same mileage as my GL1800. And come to find out, its a Honda component. Jeez! As far as my own thoughts about it, I guess it's just not a good long lasting shock. One of the guys here (Dolt) recommended to drain the oil and refill with 7W oil. I would still have a crappy shock and have to deal with it at a later date.
Any way, When a guy like Dolt recommends a part, I start to pay attention to it and read up on it. Seems like the whole motorcycle world likes Ohlins. I up graded the GL1800 with a Traxxion set up, it was worth it!
This will be far less $$ so I going for it.:confused:o_O

Well, I did not get the Ohlins Shocks. Money suddenly became an issue.
I started looking at the Progressive 944 again. I called Progressive and they assured me that the 944 does have a life time warranty.
"If you wear it out, send it back and we will replace it." I asked about the exclusion of "normal wear and tear" from the warranty. Again they said, "It would be under warranty". I also found some You Tube Videos stating the same thing. So....
Feeling reassured, I ordered a set of 944's. I just installed them and set the load or sag.
The test ride was informative with good feed back. I hit a spot that would bottom out and the rebound was crisp but not spine jarring.
Sam deal with the bike going into the drive way, without slowing down. Again no bottoming out with good recovery.
I can also sit on the bike with my feet flat on the road.
I really wanted to get the Ohlins but the 944's (With Heavy Duty Springs) seems to me (at least for now) to be a good affordable compromise. And with the Life time warranty, I won't need to buy another set. Now, I need to take care of the front suspension when $$ become available.

Back