free website stats program problems with my 02 deuce??? help | Harley Davidson Forums

problems with my 02 deuce??? help

bungy24

ive recently started to have problem with my deuce at low revs, in 1st gear it cuts out at low revs and is becoming a pain in (edit) at junctions and can become a little dangerous at times. it only has 2500 miles so am getting worried!!!! any tips and ideas would be very grateful....

[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Last edited by a moderator:
It's going to take a little more info to get an answer here, what has been done to the bike as far as tune up's and modifications. Obviously it is carbed and not FI so it could be a fuel problem too like water or sediment.

Almost sounds like the same problem the 08's have been expieriencing with the cracked fuel pumps causing them to lose preasure at low rpm.Im sure Glider will have an answer for you shortly.

See that, he's already got you covered..

ive recently started to have problem with my deuce at low revs, in 1st gear it cuts out at low revs and is becoming a pain in (edit) at junctions and can become a little dangerous at times. it only has 2500 miles so am getting worried!!!! any tips and ideas would be very grateful....

[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

I may have missunderstood this, but you have an '02 with only 2500 miles on it? Where has it been? How much riding has the bike had in the last month. Has it been sitting for awhile?

TQ

cheers!!!! must explain that this bike is my first and have only this year passed my test, got it 2nd hand with only 900 miles on it, i do agree i need to put more miles on it, but work and other reasoms only allow me too have a weekend here or there..... new years resolution is too ride more and more.... yee ha!!!

cheers!!!! must explain that this bike is my first and have only this year passed my test, got it 2nd hand with only 900 miles on it, i do agree i need to put more miles on it, but work and other reasoms only allow me too have a weekend here or there..... new years resolution is too ride more and more.... yee ha!!!

Great that you are getting into "the life". But the problem with a bike that has sat for long periods of time is that condensation (water) and sediment will settle out in the fuel system. This is made worse if there is high humidity with large temperature fluctuation dipping below the dew point.

So, the problems that you describe could be symptoms of this situation. I would suggest that you drain the fuel tank and the float bowl of the carb. Catch the gas from the float bowl in a clear glass jar so you can examine it. Once drained, put some "dry gas" in the tank and "swish it around". If you can, this is better accomplished with the tank removed from the bike. Refill the tank with new, clean, high octane (93 or better) gas.

Next, take the four screws out of the float bowl (I am assuming a Keihin CV carb) and gently lower the bowl to see how must "stuff" is in it. Clean it out carefully. See here:

Poor Performance With Carb Models - Harley Davidson Community

Then check this out:

CV Carburetor Jet Adjustment/Trouble Shooting - Harley Davidson Community

And here is another good one:

*Twin Cam CV Carb Rejet Suggestions - Harley Davidson Community

Button it all back up, and see how it goes. Let us know, because if this is not it, then we go on to more problem-solving!!

TQ

Back