free website stats program Problems after slip-on exhaust | Harley Davidson Forums

Problems after slip-on exhaust

matt1924

Hi there,

I recently bought a 2010 FXDB new from the dealer. I bought a pair of V&H straightshot slip-ons mufflers for it, and was told by the dealer that i could install them without modifying my intake or the engines cpu. So i installed them and at first startup it was amazing; a nice, crisp sound with a definative 'bark' when i rolled the throttle. That was two weeks ago, and now it is sounding much more bland and almost stock until i roll really hard. Also, the power has declined gradually as well, and i noticed the response was lagging a bit too, any help with these symptoms would be great.. By the way, the temp outside has gotten warmer in the past week or so, and i've noticed the engine getting a lot hotter than it was before, but still not sure how that affects the sound coming outta the pipes or the power range.

Did you leave the baffles in or remove them? If you installed slip ons only your EFI will adjust with no problems. I installed the same pipes on my dyna and the sound has not changed as of yet. I have not put many miles on my bike over the last week though. I have heard the sound does change as you put miles on your ride.

Is it a possibility that you are just getting use to the sound and the bike?

They will ruin hot as the weather gets warmer, the twin cams are a hot running motor the way they are set up from the factory.

matt1924; w/slip-on's you should be fine w/no computer adjustments. Like Glider indicated - you're probably getting used to the bike so the pipes have become "second nature." I noticed this w/my Rinehart slip-on's, but just have someone video you riding away & you'll notice the true exhaust sound. Another recommendation would be to get a TFI/tuner. You're probably running a tad lean on the fuel & a TFI allows adjustments which will bring back the power. Just do a search for "Dobeck" & read some of the posts - believe me, money well spent! Good luck!

Thank you guys for the quick responses. I did leave in the baffles that came with the pipes, and i have only put on about 500 miles since installing them, currently 1054 on the odometer. As far as the sound is concerned, my wife, who doesn't ride often with me has indicated they are quieter than when i put them on a couple weeks ago, also i have noticed that cruising down the interstate at 70-75 in sixth, i cannot hear them anymore. I am heading out to the dealer this morning to see about my 1k service and to talk this 'issue' over with them, with an inquiry into the stage one air kit and computer adjustments. I will post the outcome, and once again thanks for the quick responses.

Thank you guys for the quick responses. I did leave in the baffles that came with the pipes, and i have only put on about 500 miles since installing them, currently 1054 on the odometer. As far as the sound is concerned, my wife, who doesn't ride often with me has indicated they are quieter than when i put them on a couple weeks ago, also i have noticed that cruising down the interstate at 70-75 in sixth, i cannot hear them anymore. I am heading out to the dealer this morning to see about my 1k service and to talk this 'issue' over with them, with an inquiry into the stage one air kit and computer adjustments. I will post the outcome, and once again thanks for the quick responses.

Wanna bet that they say that you will need the AC up-grade (I agree), a race tuner (absolutely do not agree) and DYNO time (ridiculous!). If you had up-graded the jugs and pistons, had head work and increased the compression, then a race tuner and DYNO work might be justified. But for a street bike?

TQ

I agree with TQ especially with a new bike...Wide Open Throttle tests on a Dyno and installing the equally expensive SE Race Tuner would not be on my TO DO list...go with the simple A/C to improve breathing further and TFI so you can richen the mixture just a bit for a lot less money to realize the performance improvements you made with the A/C and exhaust Slip-ons and you should be all you need for street performance! JMHO...

Hi , I also installed some screaming eagle slip ons on my 09 dyna and did not do a tfi ...But I am finding it backfiring more and maybe running a little hotter.
Firstly am I doing any damage? and should I put the stock exhaust back on till I install the tfi?thanks for any info

You HEAR the backfiring more with the low restriction mufflers but you should be OK with just the mufflers until you can get the TFI installed. You'll notice a different feel and sound with the TFI once you put it on the bike.

Back