free website stats program Problem with a Fatboy | Harley Davidson Forums

Problem with a Fatboy

bikerdude

Hi , I am having a problem with my fairly new 2009 Fatboy

It has a stage 1 tune , but is otherwise unchanged .

Two things i would appreciate advice on

1. when the throttle is closed and there is engine braking slowing the bike (especially on a downhill) , the engine makes a poping noise , like as if clearing its throat . performance is unaffected & stops even if just a trickle of revs is given . I suspect this might just be a "normal" noise , but would appreciate advice .

2 . This is more serious . I can be riding along in (say) 4th and give it some throttle to overtake . Then without warning the engine will start to misfire . if the clutch is not held in there is violent surges of acceleration, bordering on dangerous - nearly lost it a couple of times). I then MUST stop . Thing is the misfiring continues even form standstill in 1st gear . The only way to correct it is to stop / start the engine & everything is fine . Thing is it is very intermittant , though scary when it occurs . I had wondered if I had just come up against the rev limiter , but can't explain why it continues from standstill , but is corrected after a restart .

Really appreciate any input / advice

thanks in advance

Biker Dude

Hi , thanks for your reply .

In answer to your queries

- don't know wrt throttle / wire

- piggy i think (the stage one was done by previous owner) .

- there are these error codes :

- "P" : 32920-07C
- "S" : 68925-07
- "SP": 67196-08

None the wiser to me , but I guess they must mean something !

Any more thoughts would be welcome

Bikerdude

Those number streams are not error codes. The 68925-07 is the part number of the security module from which the error codes were sent from (if there was any). The 67196-08 is the part number of the speedo assembly from which the error codes were sent from (if there was any)

You therefore do not have any logged error codes. Since you don't know the answer to the TBW question and your not sure on which tuner was used for the stage 1 tune, I can not recommend an approach to repair your problem.

Others may chime in with info.

Wow, that sounds dangerous, get it to the dealer. Even if it is out of warranty. Your life is more important than the money.

Thanks for the advice . I too was a little concerned with the risk . took it to the dealer , 1 new fuel pump later & all is happy in the dude household again. :D

Appreciate the contributions guys

Back