free website stats program Problem with 2009 Ultra Radio | Harley Davidson Forums

Problem with 2009 Ultra Radio

fcody

Recently I have had a problem with the speakers turning off even though the radio is on. Most of the time I can get the speakers to come back on by turning the speaker toggle switch on and off. Sometimes I need to do this many times and the speaker will work. Sometimes they will not come back on. Many times, when they don't come back on, I'll wait about 10 or 15 minutes, try the toggle speaker switch again and I'll get sound. So I thought I had a bad speaker toggle switch. I bought a new swithch ($85.00!) installed it, and now no sound. No matter what I do I can't get and sound. I took the dash off again and double checked the wiring. It's not that. Anybody have any ideas? I see on the internet other people have had problems with the radios.

I would think that the wiring diagram would be in the manual. I'm not sure about the voltage values. I would just try working the switch and see if you get a voltage reading when the switch is on. Later today there should be more of our electrical minded members here to help. You may just have a bad connection where the connector meets the wire. Have you tried jiggling the wires with the switch turned on?

yes. I took it back a part and checked the wiring to the wiring diagram in the shop manual. It is correct. Like I said, I don't know how to check the voltage.

There is no audio at the switch. Looking at the wiring diagram, it's just an internal switching circuit of the radio.

I agree. A fried of mine is an electrical engineer and I'm going to see him a little later this morning. I'm going to get him to look at the wiring diagram and then test the switch for continuity to see it the switch is the problem.

I'm not at all sure how the Harley is set up but as far as I know that is more or less a passive switch. Shouldn't you be able to touch the wires together to see if you get anything out of the speakers? It may be that your real problem is showing it's self and it's not the switch. Or it could just be a bad switch. Have you put the old switch back on to see if you get sound with it still?

I checked the continunity on both the old and new switches. They are the same, so it's not the switch. I guess the next step is to pull the radio.

If by chance that you know someone with another touring bike with the HK radio maybe you could pull their radio and plug it into your bike and see if it works. I purchased another HK radio for a back up and you can find them on the Internet for around $350. Pull your outer fairing and check your wires and ground connections, also if the bike has a amplifier and the amp looses power or ground you will not get any audio at all.

Back