free website stats program Probably a simple fix | Harley Davidson Forums

Probably a simple fix

I have a 2010 FLHR with new slip on 4" rineharts, stage 1 intake and the hd download. Runs well,however when I come off the throttle fast it occasionally backfires. I think it's running lean. I had a similar issue with my 06Heritage, (stage 1 intake, hd download and vance and hines longshots) that was solved with a cobra tuner. What's the best way to solve this isssue and possibly improve torque along the way ? Thanks

First you will need to eliminate any exhaust leaks as this is a major cause for decel popping.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/index.php/t-31122.html

From there if popping still exists a lean condition may be the cause and most decel popping can be eliminated even more by adding a fueler, the Dobeck TFI unit being the choice of many members here for its ease of installation and adjustment capabilities and excellent support.

Here is a link to the newest Gen 4 Unit by Dobeck

Gen 4 Information - Harley Davidson Community

While the HD Download helps, it is still a lean condition as compared to adding a fueler.

I agree with the TFI tuner as being the best choice. The dealer downloads are still lean for EPA reasons.

We checked for exhaust leaks, nothing there. I'll get with the TFI today. THANKS for the quick replies. Now if I can find a ski for the front tire, I should be set for this predicted early morning snow,
SPUD

Uh oh, someone used the S word :newsmile055:

Good decision to go with the TFI unit and be sure to let us know how you like it :D

Yep I got a Doebeck TFI, set it to reccomended settings on install. Haven't had any pops on decel since. Engine runs noticeably cooler (my main reason for wanting the tuner). Engine idles much smoother and accelaration is a bit stronger, (and smoother with less of the power band effect than before) though all gears. Love it. Most economcial way to alleviate OEM mandated lean settings.

Uh oh, someone used the S word

What could you possibly be talking about?

It's 83 and sunny here....

:)

Back