free website stats program Primary too full? | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary too full?

dozerman

Got a '05 1200 custom guys. Was rubbin on it a little yesterday and noticed a little oil residue around the shifter shaft. I have changed the primary every time I change the oil (3 times) and always put a whole quart back in. Just wondering if maybe the extra ounces might cause this, or do you reckon I got a seal starting to leak? Never noticed it before and it is time to change oil again. Any experiences with this?

What does your manual say is the correct amount?

There is a seal that's known to leak (shifter)...is it coming out right around where shifter goes into tranny? If so - got a bad seal...primary wouldn't leak if overfull...unless you took cover off - then it goes everywhere.

Got a '05 1200 custom guys. Was rubbin on it a little yesterday and noticed a little oil residue around the shifter shaft. I have changed the primary every time I change the oil (3 times) and always put a whole quart back in. Just wondering if maybe the extra ounces might cause this, or do you reckon I got a seal starting to leak? Never noticed it before and it is time to change oil again. Any experiences with this?

Always go by the book on the amount to put back in. It has the specs for a reason. Hard shifting and finding neutral are a few of the problems you will have with overfilling.
This holds true for all compartments on all bikes.

Yeah. Putting too much in primary but will adjust on this change. Not gonna do anything with the seal yet because it is so minor it is almost a figament of my imagination. Will tackle that this winter. Thanks again for the words of wisdom

Back