free website stats program Primary plug leaking | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary plug leaking

Redd

I have a 2000 Wide Glide. @ 52000 miles my plug started to drip so I pulled it and wrapped pipe tape on it. Put it back in and started leaking more. So I replaced it now it leaks even worse. Any tips on what I can do to stop this.

I use a little Permatex high temp thread sealant on the threads, a new 11105 O-Ring on the plug and torque to 20 ft. lbs and have never had a problem, are you using the correct O-Ring?

Inspect the primary cover boss to see if it is cracked and the cause for the leak. The plug is a pipe thread that is tapered and replacing it too deeply may be enough to crack the primary cover and it will leak.

Make sure it is comin from the plug and not the rear seal on the back of the primary had the same issue on my fxd was driping right off the plug every time i stop and parked the bike. Looked just like it was coming from the plug kept cleaning it and watching it and turns out it was coming from the rear seal and running down to the plug before it driped off

Make sure it is coming from the plug and not the rear seal on the back of the primary had the same issue on my fxd was dripping right off the plug every time i stop and parked the bike. Looked just like it was coming from the plug kept cleaning it and watching it and turns out it was coming from the rear seal and running down to the plug before it dripped off
Good tip David:newsmile011:. I'll second this idea, The drain plug is the lowest part of the primary assembly, and anything leaking from anywhere on that side will drip from the primary plug!

I use a little Permatex high temp thread sealant on the threads, a new 11105 O-Ring on the plug and torque to 20 ft. lbs and have never had a problem, are you using the correct O-Ring?
Sorry for the bad info Redd, you said primary but what's left of my brain was thinking trans, Glider & David have you covered

I have an '03 UC, and chased a leak that I thought was coming from the primary for a few months!! Fiddled with the drain plug, replaced the primary cover gasket, replaced the main inner primary seal. NADA!!

Because it turned out to be the tranny J-tube vent line blowing oil mist on the back of the inner primary and that flowing down to the low spot (right around the drain plug) on the inner primary/primary cover. Now I am not sure if the Dynas have that silly little J-tube coming off the nipple on the tranny top cover like the UCs do, but if you have one, try getting a couple of feet of tubing at the auto-part store and route that back over the tranny by the starter and out to the bottom of the bike on the right side (there is a small fuel drain line over there now probably). Wash the bike up real well especially there between the tranny and the inner primary and see what happens.

TQ

Back