Primary leaking

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by TQuentin1, Mar 20, 2013.

1. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

I have a leak at the bottom of the seam between the inner primary and primary cover. I noticed that one of the 1/4-20 fasteners felt like it was "giving" last time I had the cover off (replacing stator I think) so I did not tighten it up too hard. I believe this fastener was over torqued when the Dealership replaced all the stuff when the drive pulley nuked and tore stuff up. See here for that story:

Bike broke - tranny! - Harley Davidson Community

So what I want to know is if any of you folks have had to work this same problem, and used a helicoil or Kingcoil to repair the fastener hole. I am worried that there may not be enough "meat" on the inner primary fastener holes to drill out for a 1/4-20 coil, since that is listed as a 17/64" drill. If you have worked this problem, let me know your solution.

I ordered another inner primary from the Dealership just in case, but at nearly $400, I would love not to take it when it comes in if possible.

Thanx,

TQ

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

3. 90FXRS

90FXRS Junior Member Contributor

$400....OUCH!!!!! I've never used the stuff Jack is talking about and I think you're right about drilling it out. Have you looked on FleaBay?

4. bc45

bc45 Active Member

I have also used the permatex thread repair a couple of times with good results on low torque fastners, If I remember it cost under $20.00

5. tourbox

tourbox Senior Member

I have used the 1/4x20 heli coils several times thru the years on inner primaries for Shovels & Evo's. I don't think a TC88 would be any different. Never had a problem,just be sure and break off the tab and blow/vacuum it out.
    tourbox

6. kahr63

kahr63 Member

why not try an allen head metric bolt, 8mm x 1.25, its just a bit larger than a standard 1/4" thread, drill it out with a bit, run in a metric tap.

i'm sure this is smaller than the heli coil and should get a good bite.

7. roadking01

roadking01 Member Contributor

I had the same problem last year on my RK, used a heli coil without a problem and it's still holding.

8. steve saunders

steve saunders Member

i have used the helicoil kit on several tc88s in the same area with good results

9. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

10. kdaddy

kdaddy Active Member

Instead of 8mm why not use a 5/16-18, there is only a couple thousands difference and you can stick with standard fasteners and wrenches