free website stats program primary gasket replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

primary gasket replacement

doing a primary rebuild on a 97 flstc do to leaking . I have an aftermaket primary gasket with no silicone bead. Will blue racing hylomar on primary gasket help with seal? Should I put this gasket on dry with no sealant? Manual doesnt say either way.

A bit of sealant will not hurt anything. I prefer the gaskets with the silicone bead myself, they are less apt to leak.

Thanks. I figured that but couldn't understand the manual sating nothing

I agree with Gliders thinking here also.

The HD thinking here is IF they say to use a sealer, and it doesn't seal they get blamed..Did you use too much or not enough? If the gasket leaks YOU are the problem or it is a warped problem in their eyes...

A Little sealer Properly applied and Not over done can make a difference on a gasket that is dry(no bead seal).
I prefer using gaskets/seal bead, and I'm also Very careful on the torquing procedure.....

If your leaking is due to warpage, the sealer will help ...

signed....BUBBIE

I used a James primary gasket kit from J&P and they were nice quality gaskets.

Bodeen

Primary gasket can be fitted dry however a thin coating of hylomar will hold it in place and assist in sealing so i tend to use it

Brian

A little trick that will help you out in holding the gasket in place is to cut the heads off two spare bolts and put one in the primary hole in the front and one in the rear towards the back of the bike. Then you hang the gasket over the two bolts, slide on the outer cover over the bolts too and insert the rest of the bolts and finally remove the two that you inserted with the heads cut off and install the remaining two bolts and torque them all properly in the proper sequence.

No fighting to hold things in place while inserting the bolts and less chance of damaging the gasket.

It's posted in self help..

Harley Davidson Community

Lay your primary on a piece of glass to see how true it is you may be surprised, this can make a big difference in leak or no leak when you are done:s

Leak is coming from further back and migrating. I'm replcing everything from motor out seals , gaskets , o-rings . While Im in there replacing inner primary bearing and tensioner. For the little extra $ I have peace of mind.

Leak is coming from further back and migrating. I'm replcing everything from motor out seals , gaskets , o-rings . While Im in there replacing inner primary bearing and tensioner. For the little extra $ I have peace of mind.

Good luck and let us know how it worked out for you.

Bodeen

Back