free website stats program Price check | Harley Davidson Forums

Price check

mingo13

Hello I got a 05 Ultra with around 25,000 miles on it. I know its getting close with the chain tenisors going bad so I'm going to replace them. I know to use a gear drive I have check the crank run-out. Went to a indy shop and got a price quote and here it is....
Gear Drive S&S 510's kit
Adjustable Push rods
High Performance springs kit
Commander V Tuner
Labor
For a total of 1650.00
My question is do you think its a fair price? I know I can save some labor by doing the work myself which would save about 400.00. Any help or ideas if this is the set up I should use or a different cam. My rpm range is between 2000-3300 99% of the time with about 80/20 solo/two up.

The 510 is a good cam for what you described as your riding style and is considered a "bolt in", meaning no mods. needed. I think hi-perf. valve springs are a waste of money for your plan.

If you haven't 100% made up your mind on the tuner, you'll save money on Dobeck's TFI as a forum member and many of us are totally satisfied with their products.

My indie quoted me south of $1k. No tuner, no valve springs and no adjustable push rods.

My indie quoted me south of $1k. No tuner, no valve springs and no adjustable push rods.
Same setup.
A friend with an '03 Dyna had a gear drive w/S&S cam installed for $700.
This is from an indie.
Just have to go shopping.

Thanks guys for the input. I'm good with a wrench so I may just do it myself and at least save some labor cost. Plus I called S&S and talked with tech support and they recommend the 509 and dont have to upgrade the springs.

I know to use a gear drive I have check the crank run-out.
Went to a indy shop and got a price quote and here it is....
Gear Drive S&S 510's kit
Adjustable Push rods
High Performance springs kit
Commander V Tuner
Labor
For a total of 1650.00
My question is do you think its a fair price?

Quoting a price for a gear cam setup before measuring run-out? He opens it up, measures, & finds you have excessive run-out. At this point do you go back to chains or do you stay on course and just add more money. It's not cheap to fix run-out.
If $1650 includes a plug/welded crank, that is a steal. But I am sure it doesn't.

Back