free website stats program Prep for long distance riding | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Prep for long distance riding

While most of the basic points have been covered...I also carry a Stop & Go Tubeless Tire Repair kit (rope type w/ small CO2 air pump), leather tool roll that has select Torx/Hex bits, zip ties, insulated wire, needle nosed pliers w/ cutters, LED flashlight, 5 way screwdriver, spare headlight, fuses & small first aid kit. I pack saddlebags with clothes, rain gear etc., on top are sleeping bag(s) & tent if extended journey. AAA RV Card, Med Card Info, Credit Cards (do alert your card company). Do use GPS, Cell even small laptop but only as needed. Too many years in field service, so always make up backup plans as well. Pretty weird from a travel light but travel right kinda guy. :newsmile011:

credit card, triple a card, cell phone, and tom tom. Ilook bike over good b4 I leave. I dont carry tools cuz I got triple a and who wants be on side road trying fix a bike with an adjustable. I do carry some tape and zip ties allways in the bottom of the bag. gps is better then any map is like having all maps with you. Rest the bags usualy gets filled up with the wifes clothes and purchases along the way.:bigsmiley11:

A friend once told me to do some routine maintenance on the bike with the tool kit I carry on the bike... That was a real eye opener as to what I did and did not need. The whole kit changed a lot after that. (And it actually became lighter and smaller... :eek:)

A good book or magazine, pen & paper & small spot light.
After packing everything you think you need, re-evaluate and get rid of what you can do without. On a long term / distance ride you can pick up consumables along the way!
Have a safe trip & Enjoy the ride.

I wrap duct tape around the handle of a screwdriver in the tool kit and also carry safety wire and zip ties. I have had to use the safety wire 2 time now to fix a buddies bike. Once was when the shift linkage fell apart, and the other was when his air filter assembly brackets broke and the air cleaner departed from the bike. Safety wire held the carburetor in place until we could get a replacement bracket for the air filter assembly.

Good nights sleep before, Stretching exercises before long rides seem to help, keep eyes and head moving at all times to prevent strain:s

Be sure you have enough tire wear to make the trip in good shape. Leaving on a 3000 mile trip and 1000 miles in your well worn back tire starts losing air on the Seven Mile Bridge in the Florida Keys will make you wonder why you didn't replace that 10K mile rear tire before you left.

"I think that old tire will probably be OK" means it probably won't be OK.

Leave wrist watch off. Take a map. Forget about GPS. For if gas is in tank you are never lost. Leave cell phone at bottom of saddle bag and turned off. Always look forward and never look back. Enjoy every mile of trip and make memories for a lifetime, have fun and be safe....:s

Good nights sleep before, Stretching exercises before long rides seem to help, keep eyes and head moving at all times to prevent strain:s

There is some outstanding advice that needs to be followed in all of these posts. I especially like what Jack and dbmg have said. Be sure and take camera(s) with chargers and other equipment that will allow you to share your journey with us as you travel along!:yes

Back