free website stats program Pre Riding Tips | Harley Davidson Forums

Pre Riding Tips

glider.

BOT Machine
I’m going to cover a few areas and hit some of the simple stuff that can make a big difference.

AIR/FUEL - When you buy your new pipes and air cleaner be sure you address your air/fuel mixture. You will more than likely need to have your carb re-jetted or the pulse length of your injectors changed. Dyno’s with air/fuel sensors and load control are an excellent way to diagnose & correct your fuel but they can cost some money here. Your bike will not perform at its best until your air/fuel is correct. Remember the desert is not the best place to run your bike lean.

WARRANTY - When it comes to buying your parts or having your service done, you CAN use after market shops and parts and it won’t affect your Harley Limited warranty. In a February 2003 article in American Iron, a Harley spokesperson reinforced that statement. The only catch is if the after market part or service causes the failure of the Harley warranted part, then the warranty for that part may be void. There are many good bike shops that will be happy to help you customize your bike, do your scheduled services and even do warranty work for you. The best part is more than likely they will save you money if you give them a shot.

TIRES - Check your air pressure. I would suggest you check or have it checked frequently as the seasons change. You would be amazed at some of the tire pressure changes that occur when the temps change.

FLUIDS - How do I check my oil and transmission fluid?
Always follow the manufactures directions but a rule of thumb is oil should be checked on level ground and with the bike on its kick stand for rubber mounted bikes and in an upright position with frame mounted motors that have oil tanks beneath the seat, again here check your manual for the proper procedure for yours.
Check your transmission fluid with the bike in an upright position.

LIGHTING - Always give your lights a look over before riding. Make sure the directionals and brake light is working. I usually check in the reflection of a car ahead of me at a stop to see if the headlight and front running lights are working. It adds to your visibility for other drivers.

Back