free website stats program power supplies | Harley Davidson Forums

power supplies

Found 2 different hot and ground wires with different types of connectors in front of my tank below the handlebars that arn't connected to anything. They both have 12 volts of power with the key in the on and accessary position. Was wondering if these were fused and if they could be used for an accessary like a gps or radio. Didnn't know if they were preinstalled for a specific accessary or not. I have a 2008 road king classic. The power is not affected by turning off the accessary switch.

Hopefully you have a service manual. The connector types will be identified in the manual & there will be diagrams in the back of the book showing what the two connection points are for & how they are protected...

Havn't purchased the service manuel yet. Was hoping someone could help without spending the 60$ for the manual now. Thanks for the reply.

I would be glad to help you if I had the manual for your Road King & knew what the two connectors you describe look like. I’d be careful what kind of load I put through them until I knew where they are fed from & how they are protected… Maybe someone will see your post & offer more help.

I'm not going to be able to tell you what they are without knowing what they look like. I have a couple unused plugs in the headlight housing of my 07 FLHR. One of them got used for the V turn signal indicator I put on the handlebar clamp cover. HD like everyone else uses a common wire harness to keep costs down by only having to make and stock one part. You can use them as long as what you use them for doesn't over draw the guage wire they are on. A GPS or such is low draw and won't be a problem.

i was thinking about installing a sterio power booster that require a 5 amp fuse. Do you think that would be too much or should i put in an in line fuse to cover my butt?

Some Taps go through the printed circuits of the ECM (Computer) & are regulated carefully. That's why I said be careful. It's not only to protect the Eq via a fuse but the ECM...

thanks HarryB. I'll make sure I either check the manual or consult with a dealer before installation. Definately don't want to screw up the computor.

Back