free website stats program Power Loss in the throttle | Harley Davidson Forums

Power Loss in the throttle

one_to_win

We have an 08 Ultra classic. We have upgraded the exhaust to true duals, big sucker air cleaner, and added the Power Commander 3 to the bike. Last August we paid to have it dynoed and it ran great. Recently we went on a long haul and noticed that we lost power as we were climbing in speed. There seemed to be a dead spot in the throttle. We could back off the throttle and gain small amounts of speed. But for the most part, we were losing the pack quickly. We noticed this a bit before we had left, and just blamed it on bad gas. But after serveral tanks of new gas this trip, it is apparent that it was not the gas. We got home we we took the cover off the power commander and let the bike idle and it seemed fine, then we went full throttle and you could see and hear the dead spot in it. Could the power commander be bad? What should we check first?

There is a technical bulletin out for the 2008 Throttle by Wire, the connections get flattened out and you end up with dead spots in the throttle or even worse a free spinning throttle (happen to me at about 10500 miles). Dealer put new connectors on the wires and have been fine for about 2500 miles.

There is a technical bulletin out for the 2008 Throttle by Wire, the connections get flattened out and you end up with dead spots in the throttle or even worse a free spinning throttle (happen to me at about 10500 miles). Dealer put new connectors on the wires and have been fine for about 2500 miles.

Wasn't aware of this. I have an 08 touring bike. do you have the information on this bulletin??

Wow! Thanks. As an owner of an 08 RK it is great to know where to look if there is a problem. So far in 33,500 miles the throttle system has been trouble free.

Back