free website stats program power loss/cut out when headlite & signal lites on | Harley Davidson Forums

power loss/cut out when headlite & signal lites on

Ragtop

Anyone have any ideas on this one? I have a 1991 Harley Heritage Softail Classic. The bike runs like a new one until I turn on the headlight and try to use the turn signals, then it cuts out and loses power. I could ride the bike across the country with the headlights off and no turn signals on. What do I need to look for here?? I would love to hear some input on this. Thanks :panic

Adding to what was said, the voltage drop could be a bad cell in the battery as well, so that the stator/is working over capacity trying to power a shorted cell as well as the rest of the circuit load, you add the 6A load of the headlamp and 6A load of 2 3A bulbs puts it over the top. Just make sure you remove, shine up all contact surfaces (BOTH ENDS) for both battery posts and starter cable (you can lose 1-2A or more for each one [the cable end(s) will be hot to the touch]. Coat with dielectric grease to slow down corrosion...may just want to drain a little of the primary oil and sniff...if it smells burnt your stator is probably toast.

Back