free website stats program power commander | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

power commander

i just worked on a friends 08 street glide. he wasn't happy with it. I put a vance and hines pro pipe 2 into 1, vance and hines fuel pack, k&n hi flo aircleaner and a 30 tooth front sprocket. the bike runs great now, he is very happy with the performance upgrade.

Yes, it really does increase the HP and Torque, not to the point where you will be popping wheelies when you roll the throttle but enough to make a person smile after riding a stockl bike.

I just had a D&D fatcat, A/C, and PC V installed this week and I am at 78.9 max HP and 90.8 Max Torque.

I went with the PCIII because my dealer recommended it and for the cost I couldn't beat it. I got the KromeWerks slip-ons, SE A/C and PCIII with DYNO for $1150.00. Included pickup and drop off and changing all three holes. Had it done if Feburary. Does it increase power and torque, you bet. Glider and the rest seem to recommend the TFI. It's you choice. But like said, if you go with the PCIII, have the bike Dyno'd. It's a different bike all together.

Ditto, having the bike dyno'd and tuned properly makes all the difference. It seems many feel that throwing additional fuel at these lean bikes, or at upgrades, is the way to go. May make a bike run a bit better but not much in the way of a true tune. I must be in the minority that still believe if someone is going to spend 20K on a bike they should at least get it properly tuned.

Ditto, having the bike dyno'd and tuned properly makes all the difference. It seems many feel that throwing additional fuel at these lean bikes, or at upgrades, is the way to go. May make a bike run a bit better but not much in the way of a true tune. I must be in the minority that still believe if someone is going to spend 20K on a bike they should at least get it properly tuned.

Jim,I'm running a TFI that I took my time with and tuned the old fashioned way,by sound,feel and riding all for under $300. Canadian and I'm willing to bet it will run with any of the dyno tuned sert equipped bikes out there with equal upgrades at a fraction of the cost.

Jim

Looking back through your posts, I can see that you are opposed to many things that people use without "dyno tuning " the bike.
I can conclude from your posts that you strongly advocate the dyno tuning of these bikes but not everyone agrees with your way of thinking including me.
If you look at this realistically, it's like having dads everyday grocery getting Oldsmobile dyno tuned. It's mainly for bragging rights and while it does improve the running with modifications that are done, the stock or nearly stock bikes running will be enhanced with the addition of some fuel without the added expense and abuse that a dyno will do for them. The harleys are little more than tractors in design and as such really do not require dyno tuning unless someone is in the business and wants to advocate the tuning for their own business benefit. The other exception is when serious upgrades to the engine are done with cams, pistons, compression increases etc. that could then benefit from a dyno tune only because of the additions that change the basic design of the engine and how it operated after it leaves the factory. Harley engines can benefit from just adding fuel mostly in the lower ranges because of the lean settings mandated by EPA and the TFI or the PC with it's maps which you are opposed to can do just that and a dyno tune for this is overkill in most cases.
Again let me reiterate here that most street ridden Harleys just need a bit of fuel added and if you were running at the track where it would make a difference in peak output, that is where the dyno tune may come into play so can we close the book on this once and for all with the bashing of different units that you feel should be done differently than the vast number of people that use these units including myself that find they do what they are supposed to do with a minimum of expense as compared to your way of thinking?

I have the PCIII with the big air cleaner & Python slip-ons. I had it Dynoed by a certified Power commander dealer & I am not impressed. My numbers came out worse than before. I plan on downloading a different MAP when I get in. But if you are cruising in 6th gear at 65 it will not have much umph, drop to 5th and it will take off.

6th gear wont have much umph till you crack 75 + i dont care what a dyno tuner tells ya its a 1 to 1 gear not made for power on moves mines better than it was from stock but still nothing like dropping a gear

After replacing the stock air box by a K&N rk-3909 and changing mufflers, my bike was running lean. I added a power commander 3 and downloaded a map close to my settings. That was better but not perfect.
I took the bike to a dynojet center and tuned it.
That was almost perfect. Except a detail at a certain RPM, i fixed the dynotuned map with my laptop. No it's nearly perfect. But my benzine consuption is an average of 20% more.
I'll soon change cams with andrews, i read on forum no need to dyno again.
The dyno tuninng put the right amount of benzine at the right RPM under the different load of the motor when it works. Others tuners you set with a screwdriver are not so sharp.
(forgive my weak english speaking)

I have an 08 fatboy. When the dealer installed the vance and hines 2into1 with the air filterers etc the bike laboured at low speed, The fuel air mix would not correct itself. I had a power commander installed. This solved the probem. After it was dynoed it added added another 10-12 hp.

Back