free website stats program power comander 3 question | Harley Davidson Forums

power comander 3 question

bikerfishman

With stock head pipes on a 08 touring model is it better to keep the O2 sensors hooked up or use the O2 eliminators.

My stage 1 is python slip ons, pc3, and a arlen ness big sucker kit.

It runs fine with the O2 sensors hooked up but just wondering if the pc3 works better with out them.

I have not played with power commanders since 02 sensors have been out but the 02 sensors give information to the ECM, I would think more info the better. If your bikes running fine with them, that should say something about them.

does removing the O2 sensors make it an open loop?

And to verifiy I have a closed loop on a 08 SG?
2008 Street Glide come equipped with 2 “switching” sensors…also known as stoichiometric sensors. Unlike wide-band sensors which can measure and control over a wide AFR range (10-20), switching sensors can only control within a narrow range (+/- 0.5 AFR).
Closed-loop operation is only used when the engine is in a normal operating condition. There are several instances when the ECM goes into open-loop operation. These include: warm-up, high load or high RPM operating conditions (such as WOT), when the vehicle is in Hot Engine Management, or any time the AFR requested is richer than 14.6.
I guess the answer is yes and yes and no, I don't know how the power commander affects it though. Maybe Smitty could explain it a little better, he's pretty knowledgeable on this stuff and has a better way with words then I do.

thanks for the replys, I guess I will end up learning something here on EFI.

My curiousiy started when I went from the stock pipes to the pythons, I tryed it first with out the pc3 and it ran fine but threw 2 codes for the front and rear o2 sensors, makes sence since it had no tunner and was probably runing rich or lean,

anyway I cleared the codes put the pc3 in and it runs fine, but do not realy see the difference with the power comander, except its not thowing codes now.

I use to have true duals on it and had the eliminators on the o2s but had to tweek the mapping alot to make it run good.
that was diferent mufflers too.

These are the Code Descriptions for the 02 sensors if your curious or they ever reoccur.
DTC P0131 (front) or P0151 (rear) is set when the ECM detects an excessively lean condition for a specified length of time. DTCs may also set if O2 sensor fails.
DTC P0132 (front) or P0152 (rear) is set when the ECM detects an excessively rich condition for a specified length of time. DTCs may also set if O2 sensor fails.
DTC P0134 is set when the front O2 sensor circuit is open or sensor is too cold to respond.
A DTC P0154 is set when the rear O2 sensor circuit is open or sensor is too cold to
respond.

Thanx Smitty, I think I understand a little more about FI now, so I will leave the sensors in since all of my ridding is pretty much under 4000 rpms.

I am also much more happy with the slip on pipes vs. the true duals and mufflers I use to have, great sound and snappy performance.

And I am sure useing the o2's vs. not being able to use them on the old pipes is the reason for simpler tuneing.

Back