free website stats program powder coated engine & highlights ? | Harley Davidson Forums

powder coated engine & highlights ?

VBdiver

I am the second owner of an '07 883L & am not sure how to tell if the motor is powder coated or painted with high temp paint ? It has a Nightster look , flat black heads & jugs & gray side covers.
I would like to file / sand / or grind the fin edges I can get to , to create the same effect i've seen on other Harleys ? Not sure this would cause other problems like paint peeling / separation on the fins ?
Two of the attached pics are from a cellphone , not so good of an image . The bike looks a lot nicer in person.
thanks for any info.

Attachments

• left-side.jpg
    left-side.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 49
  • right-side.jpg
    right-side.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 45
  • engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 44
I would say, try it in a not so conspicuous location on a couple of fins and see how it goes. The paint hasn't chiped off by now, it must be pretty good stuff. I to think it would look better.

If it's paint you might be ok. If it's powered good luck that stuff is like iron.
Hope it works out for you and if so post some after pics.

Black engines (if it's factory stock) is generally powder coat. The silver is paint. If you use a touch of lacquer thinners on a rag and just give it a rub in a non conspicuous place and the black color comes off, it's not stock powder coat, it's been painted. The silver will transfer to the rag being paint doing the same thing with the thinners.

Check the fasteners on the black section to see if they have been painted also indicating it's been painted.

Thanks everyone i'll do a little more research with a dab of paint thinner .

powder does not like any chems at all. test a small hidden spot imo. not like it will take it off but most chems will dull the finish or leave water drop looking marks.

i did my old heads with a razor and a dremel. hate it now tbh. bout to pull em and recoat. if tedious task are not ur thing. pop em off and have em redone with highlights.

Are all three pics the same motor..?? The final one (out of frame) looke like it's shiny powdercoat & other two look flat...

Are all three pics the same motor..?? The final one (out of frame) looke like it's shiny powdercoat & other two look flat...

The first 2 pictures look like a rubber mount sportster engine and the third one an evo big twin
the parallel push rod tubes always give away a sportster engine in a close shot

Brian

The first 2 pictures look like a rubber mount sportster engine and the third one an evo big twin
the parallel push rod tubes always give away a sportster engine in a close shot

Brian

I think the third pic is just trying to show the look he wants.

If you alter the cooling fins go easy , removing too much material will affect the cooling, Alot of customs had ground off the lower half off the fins for that sleek look making these bikes look good but not very ride able for the long haul JMO

Back