free website stats program Potential new FXDC rider!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Potential new FXDC rider!!!

Drew

I posted the below introduction in the "new member" forum, but wanted to reprint it here, as I am quite sure this will be the family of motorcycle I will be purchasing.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Hello all-
I took the MSF course last September, and am seriously looking into buying a Dyna superglide custom. I thought I should start on something smaller, as the MSF course is the only experience I have, but many experienced riders have said I would be fine on a bigger bike. I am a very cautious driver, and would be ATGATT, full face helmet, etc. I have two small kids at home, so I will do everything in my power to decrease the risks this sport inherently has. I have read Proficient Motorcycling, and A Twist of the Wrist. I would say I took to riding a motory cycle very well in class. But I must admit, I'm a little nervous to make that first venture into traffic. I am athletic and well coordinated (and have always driven a stick shift car... so the clutch/throttle dynamic came fairly easy to me) so I hope that serves me well. My stats:

35 yr. old male
6'1" and a muscular 210 pounds

My wife seems to be o.k. with this pursuit I will be undertaking. Now, I really just gotta buy a bike and get some experience.

Any suggestions, hints, tips, or otherwise would be greatly appreciated. I've already learned a bunch from perusing the site. I look forward to becoming more involved after I actually begin riding.

all the best,
Drew (from Chicago)

Last edited:
I am a new rider as well. Just took the MSF about a month ago, got myself a FXDB, used, after my father-in-law told me I would get bored with a smaller bike. I fell in love with the Street Bob and just decided to go for it. My wife was on-board with me as well, I have a 3 yr old and one on the way, so I am in the same situation as you. Sit on the bikes, find one that feels comfortable and go for it. I rode mine home after being on the MSF bike for the first Saturday (just the way it worked out). WHAT A BLAST!!!

My recommendation, go for it, find one you like and buy the one you like. If you feel like you are eventually going to go to a bigger bike, I would just go for what you want, else you will find yourself trying to sell the other bike next year.

Thanks for the reply. I definitely like the looks of the FXDC, and heard it handles really well, so that is the bike I will likely get (I like the looks of the Fat Bob as well, but have heard some people say that the disc wheels can cause problems in windy conditions...e.g. the bike getting blown around). I have sat on the fxdc a number of times, and it feels good (though I will probably get forward controls, as the mids cause me to feel a bit cramped) It's good to hear that you rode off on a 1584cc engine after only one day on a 250cc MSF bike. At first I thought starting on such a big bike was irresponsible, but after getting so much feedback to the contrary, I feel better about that decision.

thanks again
Drew

Orginally I thought I would want the forward controls too, but the bike had mid-controls with forward pegs for cruising. As a beginner, I felt the mids gave me more control. I may still eventually move up to a forward controls, but for now the forward pegs are good on the cruise. Also the forward controls are pricey and to add with the new models.

Ditto on what bwalsh said. I've set mine up that way because I prefer the mids for around town riding, but it's really comfy to stretch out on the highway. You're a big guy, you won't have any trouble with the FXDC, it's not that powerful and you'll love the lowend torque. The only thing to remember is watch out on corners, all HDs have limited cornering clearance compared to the machines you likely used in the MSF course. The low center of gravity also makes them easy to handle at low speeds.

Hey, glad to hear that you have a great wife and family that you care about too! I have a softail deuce with forward controls, my first big bike. I went from a 23 lb. bicycle to a 250 lb suzuki 200, to a 300 lb suzuki 650 to the deuce. :D I have been super cautious also, taking my time with the bike etc, (yes, I do realize if you saw the time frame on my bike moves it was a little accelerated, years on the bicycle, @ 6 wks on the 200, 6 mos. on the 650) The next spring I got the deuce. I'm going on the 3rd summer with it, and I will admit that this is the best it has felt. I'm really getting used to and comfortable with the feel of the bike. I have had the forward controls from the start, suzukis were dual sports and they had mids, but I didn't have any problems. I am 5'7" and was very comfortable on the bike. Take your time and learn your bike and I think you will do fine. BTW, I think I learned more reading this site over the winter than I did riding. :s I learned to pay more attention, and how to 'be one with the bike' :D Kind of like my best year of racing mountain bikes, I like it! Good luck.

Thanks again for all the great advice. I'm having some second thoughts on the FXDC and am thinking of starting on an 883 custom sportster. I like the way the sporty looks, and the FXDC just seems like there is more room for error. Money is not that big of an issue for me. So if I want to get a bigger bike in the next year or two, that's o.k. if I lose a bit on the trade in. I just think I would be more confident on the sporty than the Dyna at this point.

I'll see how this pans out... but I certainly appreciate the words of advice here.

best,
Drew

Back