free website stats program Posi or Open End on Tri-Glides | Harley Davidson Forums

Posi or Open End on Tri-Glides

zoood

Product Contributor
I am curious about the type of rear each trike conversion provides. I have the DFT. When I take off hard. I leave two visible, same length peal out marks on the road way. I was at a HD open house and was talking with one that had a champion conversion kit on their bike. He was telling me that his is posi. Where as, depending on the price one pays for the HD Tri-glide. It will be either a posi traction rear or an open ended one. ( One rear wheel drive). Is this true? About posi or open ended rears on the tri-glide?

RJ

The difference in the rears with posi and open rears (limited slip) is with a posi rear, the vehicle tends to push straight when cornering because of the posi locking the two wheels in the rear.
Limited slip on the other hand will apply the drive to the wheel with the traction and will handle easier when turning. I would prefer the limited slip which still gives you drive to both wheels, just not locking them like the posi units. Better tire mileage and easier on the rear end components because they aren't fighting each other to maintain the same speed when going around a turn.

Thats what my trike's rear is,... limited slip. But looking at some of the designs out there. One wheel is solely dedicated to being the drive wheel and the other, just goes for the ride. I feel this point is over looked by many. They are over come by just seeing a trike on the show room floor. just like one views a new car in the show room. Myself. I will lay on the floor and look under there. Way back in time. I use to do new car prep. Alot of the cars that were placed on the show room floor. Where usually the ones that had the most wrong with them. But the owners knew that most would look past the defects. Only because they automatically felt that the cars that where placed in the show room would be flawless.

RJ

The difference in the rears with posi and open rears (limited slip) is with a posi rear, the vehicle tends to push straight when cornering because of the posi locking the two wheels in the rear.
Limited slip on the other hand will apply the drive to the wheel with the traction and will handle easier when turning. I would prefer the limited slip which still gives you drive to both wheels, just not locking them like the posi units. Better tire mileage and easier on the rear end components because they aren't fighting each other to maintain the same speed when going around a turn.

Back