free website stats program point conversion? | Harley Davidson Forums

point conversion?

rgoot01

I've been looking around for a new ignition module when I came across a point conversion. It doesn't specifically state that it is for a '89 Electra Glide but it does state 1978-99 evos when changing from ei. The kit includes points and condenser mounted to plate, and advance weight assembly and cam ready-to-install, as well as all hardware and wire, and terminals. With the exception of setting points from time to time and the points burning up from the ignition on while not running are ther any real disadvantages to converting to points? All my old fords are points and I never have problems even though I can upgrade from points.

The main reason for asking is the conversion is only $50 as opposed to $278 for the new module.

Will I need a new coil also or can the stock coil be used?

Yes, the resistance factor is not the same, you may need different wires also, the disadvantage to points will be varying timing, the electronic system takes care of that better than mechanical advance systems JMO

Yes, the resistance factor is not the same, you may need different wires also, the disadvantage to points will be varying timing, the electronic system takes care of that better than mechanical advance systems JMO

I just got lucky on Ebay and there was a NOS 32405-91A mod. in original box for only $120! Looks like I'll stay with EI. Besides I already have $160 in a new coil, plugs and wires.

I just got lucky on Ebay and there was a NOS 32405-91A mod. in original box for only $120! Looks like I'll stay with EI. Besides I already have $160 in a new coil, plugs and wires.

:s Good on you, that is a good price for an almost obsolete part:s

Back