free website stats program Please Help!!!... Bought a Sportster.. What is it? | Harley Davidson Forums

Please Help!!!... Bought a Sportster.. What is it?

I just bought this 2000 Sportster at auction. Looks like I need to replace cylinder, piston, rings.

How do I find out if it is a 883 or a 1200cc?

Is anyone familiar with this bike? submodel>? any info would be much appreciated.

Here are some pics

2000 Harley Davidson Sportster For Sale pictures by Schoolsale - Photobucket

IMG_0452.jpg

From the pictures it would looks like a lot of modifications have been done although i think it would have started as an 883 but could have been converted to 1200
but by checking the frame/vin number should help to sort out what it was when it left the factory

harley vin

Brian

Steve is right. Get yourself some measuring tools and match it up to what S&S has to offer.

Depending on what you paid for her, it could be a Blast to fix up and ride.

I have this feeling you got Her at the right price.. :D

All very good suggestions, the VIN # on the engine is a good place to start, but since the piston is accessible you can certainly measure the bore and stroke. Heads may identify if they are stock or modified...but I am inclined to think like Fin 676,, as the peanut tank models in 883 were so popular...minimalist thinking back then. Tell us what you find...and as your build progresses! It looks really good now as it did when the owner was modifying it.:D

What is the problem, compression or oil? Good info here on contacting S S with numbers and measuring bore and stroke. You need to find a good shop in your area for the cylinder work, and buy a factory manual, Good Luck and welcome, Capital Jack:s

It looks like my 92 XLH1200 but a different color. Belt drive, mag wheels, same frame shapes, same front tubes and fender, 2.2 gal gas tank and same rear fender shape. The only difference that I can see is the key on mine is on the left above the horn and I have a tach and spedo combined.

I can't help you with the tech stuff. Just wanted to say that's a good lookin' bike! I hope when you're done that it goes as well as it shows!

Back