free website stats program ping ping ping. help | Harley Davidson Forums

ping ping ping. help

Hi all,
Bike is 07 lowrider 13K stage one with tfi, screaming eagle breather, v+H pipes baffled, run high octane fuel. Riding today, temp is about 88 very nice out. Started noticing when rolling on from lower rpms that I was getting a few ping ping pings or ting ting tings whatever you prefer coming from the motor. does not happen when in neutral and trying to duplicate and only happens when on a pull. Cruising no issues. Rode a week ago in Mo. and had a really hot day bike was hot and back fired a few times, and then died once when rolling to a stop sign. Any advice would be appreciated.

Joe

Hi all,
Bike is 07 lowrider 13K stage one with tfi, screaming eagle breather, v+H pipes baffled, run high octane fuel. Riding today, temp is about 88 very nice out. Started noticing when rolling on from lower rpms that I was getting a few ping ping pings or ting ting tings whatever you prefer coming from the motor. does not happen when in neutral and trying to duplicate and only happens when on a pull. Cruising no issues. Rode a week ago in Mo. and had a really hot day bike was hot and back fired a few times, and then died once when rolling to a stop sign. Any advice would be appreciated.

Joe

Can you LIST the 4 settings you are using on the TFI?

I'll like to see them..

signed....BUBBIE

Joe I didn't see if your running any kind of a tuner, are you running stock ECM or do you have a piggyback fuel manager? I was running completely stock and started experiencing pinging at approx 2700-3200 RPM/80-83 MPH that progressively got worse. I ended up putting a PCV on it but that's not where the story ends. The timing tables on my map had advanced #s which actually made the pinging worse. After reading a lot on the subject I determined the timing tables needed to be retarded. Over a period of a few months I experimented with removing timing until all or most of the ping is gone. I wouldn't have been able to eliminate the pinging without a tuner I couldn't get into the timing tables.

Can you LIST the 4 settings you are using on the TFI?

I'll like to see them..

signed....BUBBIE

Bubbie,

About a months ago my idle seemed to be running around that 1300 mark so i did some adjustments to the tfi. and probably worth mentioning that the day my bike started to ping i had just filled up with fuel. anyway my tfi setting are

pot 1 : 1:30

pot 2 : 1:20

pot 3 : 2:20

pot 4 : 4:00

thanks guys for all the help. i filled up with 93 octane but it was from a station i don't normally use

i filled up with 93 octane but it was from a station i don't normally use

Are you still on the same tank of fuel or have you re-filled a couple of times since the problem started..
If your on the same tank of fuel,,, it's probably just a bad tank of fuel.

Are you still on the same tank of fuel or have you re-filled a couple of times since the problem started..
If your on the same tank of fuel,,, it's probably just a bad tank of fuel.

same tank. so yes the pinging could possibly be specific to this tank. If so how should i handle the getting hot issue i faced when down in Missouri and the bike wanted to backfire and died on me

sso yes the pinging could possibly be specific to this tank.

"could possibly"? I will stick my neck out and say it IS the reason.
"Topping off" once or twice doesn't clean out the tank either. Trust me on that one.

As for the back firing. When did it backfire? Under power or when letting off the throttle.
Also check to see if you have any historical codes. Use the built-in diagnostics. Even having no stored codes tells you important information about things it can't be..

Bubbie,

About a months ago my idle seemed to be running around that 1300 mark so i did some adjustments to the tfi. and probably worth mentioning that the day my bike started to ping i had just filled up with fuel. anyway my tfi setting are

pot 1 : 1:30

pot 2 : 1:20

pot 3 : 2:20

pot 4 : 4:00

thanks guys for all the help. i filled up with 93 octane but it was from a station i don't normally use

Try the #3 pot a little more.... suggested starting point 4

Suggested Here:
POT #3 – RED LED: MAIN FUEL ADJUSTMENT
The TFI adds about 5 points of main jet fuel with every clock position. For example, one clock position is the
same as 150 to 155 main jets. Fine tuning: Start with the suggested setting and then add one clock position at a
time until the bike says too much (hesitation) then back off 1 clock position, if adding makes it worse go
opposite direction. The red pot adds most of its fuel above 70% of maximum RPM.
POT #3 at 4 starting point

IF you think of it as adjusting a carb when YOU can control the jet sizes :D

signed....BUBBIE

PS
Might be todays Junk for fuel.... shifting down early for increase of speed might be needed

Also check your IAC air passage, if/when it gets a little gummed up (because the breather tubes dump into the intake) the function might be improper. This seems to be most notable when riding in hot conditions. A good maintanence practice to get into maybe every time you clean the air filter. Check the self help tips for IAC motor.
Harley

awesome suggestions thanks guys. I was sure that i had my red pot of 4 , has anyone ever had their tfi vibrate the settings?

and I was considering the iac and an option, I read that post no more than a couple of weeks ago.

so thanks again for everyones help . I will make changes and do some checking today after work and then will be on the road for the evening so we will see what plays out.

happy riding

Joe

Back