free website stats program Ping And Detonation | Harley Davidson Forums

Ping And Detonation

Status
Not open for further replies.

glider.

BOT Machine
If you have ever wondered what pinging or detonation is and what it can do to an engine, read about it here.

None working link removed

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read about detonation and pre-ignition on this site before but never understood if I had this condition or not.
I understand that one can hear this condition if it exists.

What does dentonation or a pre-igntion sound like.

:small3d004:

I have read about detonation and pre-ignition on this site before but never understood if I had this condition or not.
I understand that one can hear this condition if it exists.

What does dentonation or a pre-igntion sound like.

:small3d004:

Occurs under acceleration and sounds like a mettalic wrapping or pinging. Mr. Data Sound bytes?

when my bike pings it usually does it under load or when I am accelerating..to me it sounded like a rock or pebble hitting the front fender..had a definite metallic "ping" to it.

WOW, you guys are giving me a work out here.

now don't ask me to polish your bike next!

We only do it because we know you will come through with the answers:D Hmm a polish you say. Would Pledge be involved?:s

Thanx, Mr. Data. That is NOT what my bike sounded like. That clip was very fast, rapid "pop corn" sound. My bike would make one single tapping sound (sounds most like a small rock hitting the front fender) right as I roll on the throttle. Just one "tap" right as the bike would accelerate. Never did it make a continuous string of noises like what is depicted on that cilpl. Once again, I want to thank you for all your input..I am learning a lot on this forum.

What you heard on initial accel was pinging, but the pre-ignition/detonation sensor alerted your processor to retard the timing, hence it stopped. Sophisticated EFI is a lot better with modern microprocessors being able to work with all the on board sensors to limit damage from a whole host of things...not like in the old days before Bosch developed EFI into what it is today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back