free website stats program Photo Gallery | Harley Davidson Forums

Photo Gallery

Scarlet

How do I fix Photo Gallery (vista) it keeps telling me it stopped working and is shutting down...so.......frustrating.........!:yeahright

Different Web site...:small3d007: Just Kidding, maybe someone will come back with some helpful info... :D

My introduction to Vista was how shall I say..."--enlightning" in that it reminded me of all the things I did not like about working on computers. Locking up as you stated and endless waiting for the screens to refresh. THEN I started to get mad and so began the torture of fixing things.

FIRST, make sure you have sufficient memory in your machine...there are only 2 memory slots...if you have more you are lucky, so you have to expand by replacing both sticks...you will also find out that expansion beyond 4Gig is going to be a lesson in futility...operating system only maps out and uses what is available which is a little over 3GIg, and your Video memory expands into the rest. But the speed of the operating system does return to tolerable...though not at the ol' XP pace.

Make sure you update VISTA SP1 and point releases to the latest and greatest...the last ones have been improving the reliability and stability of the operating system. Which is really a revelation in itself...it is getting better and better, but beware of Internet Explorer 8.

2nd, Turn off all the silly Microsoft Helper stuff...like "links to MSN, Bling and "THEIR" preferred links...popups from them drove me crazy. Also if you are on Internet Explorer 7 stay there, when I went to Explorer 8 features like highlighted links to places I had been, and address history bar information disappeared, as well as other convenient features. Yes they added all these new features to help your Internet experience, when all the users ever wanted was one that would not lock up so much or be such an open target for every hacker on the planet. Then the automatic updates started coming as recently as last month and Internet Explorer 8 is turning into another upgrade gone bad.

3rd Use TABS to open windows within the same browser screen...it saves memory space and IE does not get lost trying to manage to many open Windows...you will run out of memory and IE will lockup. I like to use the plain "blank" Google search page for all my searches when you first turn on, no fluff or newsflashes or popups that will drive you crazy. What I am getting at is, try to pare down all the stuff except what you need. This will leave more memory space and microproccessor power for handling pictures and graphics. Unfortunately VISTA operating system is a memory hog...but unlike our machines which have a nice sound, Vista just runs out of memory and quietly shutsdown.

4) When dealling with pictures, my ALL in ONE printer or front panel MEMORY STICK slots are where I download to try to minimize computer interaction. Also copy the pictures to USB memory sticks (they are now cheap) and easier in some cases to manage than saving to DVDs. Try and keep your hard disk space open for working stuff, not archival stuff.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, I will definately use your advice.
I might have way too many pics on it,to begin with.
I get rid of many background things I call (EDIT), the MSN thing and everything I do not need, extra toolbars that came with it, etc....
Vista quietly running outta memory and quietly shutting down sounds typical for my photo gallery problem.
That even makes sense for when it gets too slow and non cooperative.No viruses or bugs,it's clean.
Thank you once again.
I appreciate you taking the time to help me.
Scarlet

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Harry

I like senses of humor.
Was beginning to wonder.....
tho had confidence someone MIGHT help.
Happy he did, and you.
Scarlet

I knew someone would help you, I'm not up on all the computer programs, ...have other interests. There are quite a diverse group of people that are on this site. I'm glad to be able to add a little something from time to time... :yes

Back