free website stats program petcock leak | Harley Davidson Forums

petcock leak

Is there a special sealer or method of installing the "cross-over" style petcock and tube on an older fatbob tank? It leaks at the "banjo" fitting on the petcock. Regular teflon tape is no good, as is regular permatex. Thanks.

Not sure if it will work but you can try a Pipe Sealant that contains Teflon made by Loctite.

I hope it helps :)

CatWoman

Last edited:
Is there a special sealer or method of installing the "cross-over" style petcock and tube on an older fatbob tank? It leaks at the "banjo" fitting on the petcock. Regular teflon tape is no good, as is regular permatex. Thanks.

If I read this right the threads are not leaking. The thru bolt to the banjo fitting should have a copper washers on each side of the "banjo". Sometimes they become "work hardened" from use. Try some new ones or heat the ones you have with a propane torch. You can see them change color slightly. Then let air cool. DO NOT USE WATER TO COOL. Rapid cooling will harden the copper again. The heat will soften the copper and sealable again. Not 100% sure it will work for you, but I have done this with pretty good success on some equipment when I was a millwright.

Last edited:
If I read this right the threads are not leaking. The thru bolt to the banjo fitting should have a copper washers on each side of the "banjo". Sometimes they become "work hardened" from use. Try some new ones or heat the ones you have with a propane torch. You can see them change color slightly. Then let air cool. DO NOT USE WATER TO COOL. Rapid cooling will harden the copper again. The heat will soften the copper and sealable again. Not 100% sure it will work for you, but I have done this with pretty good success on some equipment when I was a millwright.

i'm currently a millwright/industrial maechanic (10 years) the heating up and air cooling will most likely work/new will prob be very cheap and worth the peace of mind

This kinda goes along the lines of a new copper "crush" gasket for the spark plug days and the banjo fitting for the brakes hoses. Technically, you "should" use new ones, but many opt to reuse "one more time..." because necessity sometimes outweighs "convenience"...:20:

I have a new banjo fittind and washers. Still leaks. I'm using a sealant and letting it dry for a few days before putting gas in. Then using a dye to see where the leak is, if it's still there. Thanks all .

Back