free website stats program Passing lights/Spot Lights | Harley Davidson Forums

Passing lights/Spot Lights

Mongo1958

The spotlights or passing lights on my 09 Ultra are glazed over on the inside. I took them apart, filled them with soapy water and rinsed. I stuffed paper towels into the lights to wipe the inside dry. One thing I learned is the bulb inside the Spotlights can be adjusted or bent up or down very easily helping in the alignment of the lights. Bending the lamp down moves the light beam up and bending the bulb up aims the beam down. This all started because I was cleaning the bugs off the fairing and bummped one of the spots. I tried to move it back into place but it was too loose and did not stay in place. I also had to modify a socket wrench to deal with a wire going through the spot light bolt. :D

The spotlights or passing lights on my 09 Ultra are glazed over on the inside. I took them apart, filled them with soapy water and rinsed. I stuffed paper towels into the lights to wipe the inside dry. One thing I learned is the bulb inside the Spotlights can be adjusted or bent up or down very easily helping in the alignment of the lights. Bending the lamp down moves the light beam up and bending the bulb up aims the beam down. This all started because I was cleaning the bugs off the fairing and bummped one of the spots. I tried to move it back into place but it was too loose and did not stay in place. I also had to modify a socket wrench to deal with a wire going through the spot light bolt. :D

FRX181, Socket, Flare Nut, 9/16", 6-Point I have a set of these, spendy but they work good:s

I bought a thick walled 6 point deep well socket and ground a slot in one side with a die grinder, was much less than flare socket wrench.

I bought a thick walled 6 point deep well socket and ground a slot in one side with a die grinder, was much less than flare socket wrench.

That's pretty much what I did.

You guys must be mechanics (not part changers) that's one of the many tricks my dad taught me. There is a lot of knowledge to be learned from the old timers got the job done without running to the tool truck for the latest gadget.

You guys must be mechanics (not part changers) that's one of the many tricks my dad taught me. There is a lot of knowledge to be learned from the old timers got the job done without running to the tool truck for the latest gadget.
Heh, Heh...I guess I got the right bike then. 2009 Geezer Glide:lolrolling
Buying accessories for metric bikes over many years has some times proven futile unless you are a little creative and inventive.

Easy to make a tool for the adjustment.

Harley Davidson Community
Yup thats what I did but I did not know about your link until now.

"It's best done at night so you can roll the bike onto the road to test their positioning before putting things back together."
I performed the task inside my garage. When I was ready to test them out I lowered the garage door to shine the lights on the door. :D

Back