free website stats program Passenger pegs on Heritage FLSTCI | Harley Davidson Forums

Passenger pegs on Heritage FLSTCI

gasbag

Hello,

I have a 2006 Heritage and have what is probably a simple question but I have had the bike only 5 weeks. I still tuck it in at night before I go to bed. :)

The passenger foot pegs are mounted on a stud that is retained by what appears to be a snap ring . The stud goes thru a hole at a junction of the bag bars/mount/frame etc. I am told there is a "D" washer inside that retains tension and keeps the footpeg from rotating. One of mine has obviously lost it's tension and I can twist it easily.

I do not intend to ever carry a passenger. Is it acceptable to replace the footpeg and it's mounting shaft with a bolt and acorn nut or something similar? I would probably keep the footpeg but I really don't care for the way HD mounts it. It doesn't seem to be a sound way to do it and will need replacing down the road again in the future.

I am going to find a replacement for the buddy seat and bar with a larger/longer rack if and when I can find one.

Thanks for any help you can give me. Everyone please ride safe.........

If I remember correctly there's a bolt on yours behind the peg once you remove the peg and there's a nut on the inside of the frame or visa versa where the bolt goes through from the back,or a threaded boss. Can't remember if there was anything else involved with that bolt but if there was you can replace it with a shorter bolt and a nut, if not leave the assembly off the bike.

The "D" ring you mention is #60 in this pic and it's function is to keep the peg from rattling basically and keep it in the up position when not in use.

HD0027093.gif

Glider,

Thanks for the response. I was given incorrect info on where the "D" ring went. I am really not an idiot, I have just never owned a Harley before so it's all new to me.

I am going to go check the footpegs once more. I know what is there but I want to make sure. From just looking at your post, part #9 on my bike is not a bolt. It has a slot on the end of it for a snap ring to hold it in place from the inside of the frame. I can see the snap ring by using a mirror and looking from the back.
I have tried several times to download the service manual so I don't have to bug everyone in here but I can't seem to get it to work. I know I am new to HD but I hate to act like it.:)

I will go back and check once more and then respond with what I find.
Thanks again for your interest.

gasbag

Glider,

I got it apart and it is fixed. You were correct of course.:)

The parts guy at the Harley shop was incorrect and sold me the wrong part which was one reason I was hesitant. I will leave everything on the bike until I find a replacement for the stock rack and passenger seat.

I am retired from radiology and helped put people back together. Take my word for it, motorcycles are more complicated, at least to me. My son, who works as a machinist and is also a darn good mechanic will be helping me learn about the bike as we go along. He lives 100 miles away so I will grab him when I can.

Until then I will try to limit my stupid questions to about one a week.......:small3d007:

Thanks for the info. Have a good day and ride safely.

Gasbag

Back