free website stats program Passenger audio cable connector | Harley Davidson Forums

Passenger audio cable connector

sgdiesel

I run an 08 Ultra classic. I am considering removing the Tour-Pak, but the quick disconnect kits from Harley do not cover this model. I am convinced the reason for this is because the passenger audio cable does not have a connector fitted anywhere in the cable run.

I have checked the service manual and it shows a number of the cores are twisted pairs, so simply splicing and adding a connector will not be that straightforward. Any suggestions or experience out there please?

Slightly off topic but your post adds knowledge to my thinking process that if I move to an E Glide some day, I'll probably go with the Classic so I can have the tour pack removeable. Of course if you figure out an easy way to make it detachable on an Ultra, let us know.

I've considered the same thing on my 09 Ultra, but what about the radio antenna's. I love the radio, even though I listen to XM much of the time, which uses a different antenna.

Looking at some of the postings whilst researching this I believe.....the 09 model does have a split in the cable so that makes it easier than the 08.

Ref the radio Buddy, that is very straight forward. First option is to split the am/fm antenna cable - this is basic coaxial cable and a connector won't cost more than a tenner at a local electronics store, secondly the cable disconnects very easily at the antenna connection point in the Tour-Pak (CB has a split connector in the tout-pack, or thirdly it is very easy to put and internal antenna under the fairing.

The third option is one I am working through at the moment. The bits arrive today so I will let you know how I get on. This is the antenna I bought

INTERNAL GLASS MOUNT SCREEN AERIAL FOR CAR OR CARAVAN on eBay, also, Other In-Car Ents GPS, In-Car Entertainment GPS, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 04-Feb-09 13:45:05 GMT)

I am sure this will be fine.

Radio antenna for XM is slightly higher in frequency so actually requires a shorter antenna, but standard ones should work fine. Also, as long as the antenna is not enveloped by metal, you can hide it in the fairing if you want, to simplify your life.

Regarding wiring of headset/mic...wireless such as BlueTooth or other technology would benefit you, less drilling, wiring and since hands free operation is a must with all the other techno gadgets, makes the most sense to have "seamless" communication between Cell, XM, GPS and if equipped, your HK sound system. Just takes a little planning $$$'s and Google search, and most of all patience. :newsmile021:

Radio antenna for XM is slightly higher in frequency so actually requires a shorter antenna, but standard ones should work fine. Also, as long as the antenna is not enveloped by metal, you can hide it in the fairing if you want, to simplify your life.

Regarding wiring of headset/mic...wireless such as BlueTooth or other technology would benefit you, less drilling, wiring and since hands free operation is a must with all the other techno gadgets, makes the most sense to have "seamless" communication between Cell, XM, GPS and if equipped, your HK sound system. Just takes a little planning $$$'s and Google search, and most of all patience. :newsmile021:
I have the Ultra Classic which has all the headsets etc included and I am really happy with that. We do not have XM in UK so that is not an issue for me although I understand your point.

I am just concerned about splicing the audio cable to the passenger, I do not believe it is straightforward, and if you don't then you can't (easily) remove the tour-pak

I have looked at this in detail, and if anything this further confirms my suspicions and backs up my findings so far. This kit is for the 09 Ultra, and I reckon they changed that cable as one of the changes 08 to 09. I have searched high and low for a similar harness for 08 Ultra - NOTHING. I reckon they had the connector pre 08, dropped it for 08 and now have re-introduced

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the AM/FM antenna I bought and plan to fit this weekend. It will fit nicely under the fairing and is cheap as anything so worth taking a shot. I will leave the standard antenna coax in, disconnect on Tour-Pak side, roll it up and store it under the seat.

I am not that bothered about the CB, there is a split in the cable in the tour-pak, again, roll that up and under the seat. Comes back down, again, to passenger audio cable. I do go out a lot with my missus so this is a function that must remain working well. I am hoping that I can get this under the seat as well, but the hard plastic tube at the end will make that tricky

Car Radio Aerial - Interior Glass Mount RMA819

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, here is some useful info I believe.

Firstly, the Accessory Connector is a Deutsch type DT. I wanted to connect both the ignition live and accessory switch live to accessories and my local Harley dealer didn't really come up with the goods so I was forced to find options. In the UK, I used Simtek UK, their service was great, had what I wanted and only £3 for a connector. They also sell just the female sockets as the Harley accessory plug I bought only had 2 fitted.

Further to this, a word of caution, the pin numbers moulded in to the connector DO NOT coincide with the circuit diagram, so you are better off checking which wire goes where than using the cct - a mistake I made

Back