free website stats program Painting Aluminum Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Painting Aluminum Question

scrinch

My Harley is TOO PRETTY and RUNS so I had to go out and buy a couple of basket cases to tinker on. I am no mechanic nor painter but it gives me a chance to work in the shop with my 23yo son and have a few beers and a few laughs.

Long to short.. The engine case of this bike was previously painted aluminum in color and the paint is flaking. I would like to paint it flat black but don't want it to just flake off and look bad. I have looked on line for a high temp black paint for aluminum but didn't get any results.

Do I need a high temp paint here at all or can I use an aluminum primer and topcoat or will regular high temp paint stick??: shock:shock

Hi Kevin, I was going to suggest Eastwood for paint or anything else you need for your resto. Glider beat me to it, click on his Brake Caliper paint link. They have just about anything you will need for paint. Not to mention tools and polishing equipment. You could get some of the stuff cheaper if you shop around but they have it all in one place. Let the UPS guy do the driving. :bigsmiley20:

Make sure you also prep the parts. strip, sand or blast paint off parts. Use a good primer, and topcoat. Probably why the paint on there is pealing Might look into powder coating also.

I have painted alumium a few times but never an engine case. The main thing with alumium is to make sure it is preped right. Get it roughed up and us some vineger or light acid to clean it up. This will help the primer/paint stick to the alumium. The coating on the alumium makes the paint not want to stick and that is one of the reason it chips off. Make sure you use a good high temp paint.

THANKS for the advice. Vinegar.... now I never would have thought of that!! But it makes good sense.

Back