free website stats program Paint or powder coat | Harley Davidson Forums

Paint or powder coat

I am doing a complete tear down and will either be having the frame painted or powder coated. Which is better and why. Also the engine is currently black would like to have chrome accents on edge of fins and either have engine painted or powder coated, which should I do. I am new to this and it is all a learning experience.

Powder coating is more durable. You can't chrome just the fin edges, but polishing them looks good, and some companies can "diamond cut" the fins which looks very nice.

Powder coating is more durable. You can't chrome just the fin edges, but polishing them looks good, and some companies can "diamond cut" the fins which looks very nice.

I agree with the durability. Saw a beautiful trike last year with black fins that had the edges cut with vertical scallops. It really stood out and looked fantastic against the black fins.

The last few times I have done a frame I chose to have them painted working on the basis that if paint gets a wee bit of damage it can be fixed with a wee bit of work but with powder the frame would have to be stripped and re coated

Brian

The last few times I have done a frame I chose to have them painted working on the basis that if paint gets a wee bit of damage it can be fixed with a wee bit of work but with powder the frame would have to be stripped and re coated

Brian

Brian

I have had good luck with repairing powder coated on stock frames using a black enamel paint (slower to dry), or a spray enamel as long as you mask properly or a brush but the spray is better looking after it is done. You can blend it better and usually polish out any differences too. It isn't noticeable after it's done with a bit of practice.

Brian

I have had good luck with repairing powder coated on stock frames using a black enamel paint (slower to dry), or a spray enamel as long as you mask properly or a brush but the spray is better looking after it is done. You can blend it better and usually polish out any differences too. It isn't noticeable after it's done with a bit of practice.

I have never tried that the old softail is getting a wee bit scubby in places so I might just give it a try and see how it works out

Brian

Back