free website stats program P1357 Front cylinder combustion intermittent | Harley Davidson Forums

P1357 Front cylinder combustion intermittent

TQuentin1

Staff member
OK, group. Got this code a couple of times on the ride home last night. Happened a couple of times under load when going to near WOT, accelerating at highway speeds.

Looking in the book (Electrical Diagnostic Manual) in section 5.20, it calls for use of a Breakout Box. No gots!! How do I get around that? Or is that something I should have?

In reality, it is a series of test to determine if the spark plug is bad, plug wire bad or coil bad. Seems to me I can just follow that same path replacing first the plugs (just do them both!), then the plug wires, and finally the coils. Between each, see if the problem persists (including before starting to replace anything!).

What do you think?

TQ

Sounds like a great plan. A P1357 actually translates to electrical noise on the secondary side of the front coil. Check both the connection of the spark plug wire to the plug itself and the connection of the plug wire to the coil tower.

Check the tip of the plug where the wire attaches, they sometimes loosen up and cause this problem too.

No recurrence today after unplugging and replugging the spark wire on front yesterday. I will try snugging up the connector on the plug end of the spark wire, and make sure the end of the spark plug is not loose if it is one of those that screws off.

Will wait to see if the code returns before taking any further action!

TQ

Back