overheating

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by softail00, Jul 25, 2009.

1. softail00

softail00 Active Member

What temp does the bike have to be when it becomes dangerous to the engine. Does harley offer a liquid cooled bike?

2. 2wheels4life

2wheels4life Member

They are designed to run hot.

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

I think it should be said that they are running hot because of the design and not that they were designed to run hot. The cam and fuel mixture has a lot to do with it.

4. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

As Glider says, heat on an air/oil cooled machine is based on the state of tune, frictional losses and design to shed the excess heat not used for combustion.

That said, HD has evolved the V-Twin to close to the limits an OEM can do on a mass produced machine AND meet EPA standards, and all the R&D to qualify said product. We may bemoan the MOCO for it's practices...but most other manufacturers of air/oil cooled machines stopped because demand did not match the R&D dollars to produce a competitive product.

Sure plenty of aftermarket product designers like S&S and others can squeeze more...but at a considerable increase in price and sacrifice to some degree the longevity of the base engine unless all the internals are redone also. Overheating as Smitty says is a bit overblown...lots of R&D has gone into heat management issues, and they could not afford to "blow it" and send defective machines out that would bankrupt them in short order.

5. hubja

hubja New Member

I was on the strip of vegas and stuck in traffic in mid summer. My bike's oil got up to 300+ degrees and the engine & tranny swelled to where I couldn't put it in neutral within traffic. It freaked me out. I had to let my bike cool down for a few hours and it was fine. A few days later I put in the HD Screaming Eagle synthetic and my bike has never gotten over 250 degrees. It runs way cooler and I get more performance.

If your having some heating issues and concern, I recommend synthetic oil which your local mechanic will even recommend to run cooler.

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

Do yourself a favor and get a REAL synthetic in place of the Syn 3 you put in the bike. That oil is a blend and not a true synthetic. Something on the order of Mobil 1 V twin is a good choice.

Also use a gear oil in the trans too.

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community