free website stats program Overheating FLHR | Harley Davidson Forums

Overheating FLHR

Oscar

2008 Road King, 46K miles.

I rode 1500 miles North from South Florida a few weeks ago, and got stuck in some wretched stop-and-go traffic for 2 hours in a heat wave. The bike started shutting down the rear cylinder, and when it did so I rode the shoulder to keep air moving, but wasn't able to do so for long.

Anyway, since then, the rear cylinder is shutting down far more frequently than it has been since I bought the bike new. The only few times it did so was in stopped traffic in South Florida, and now it is doing so at red lights in NYC, where it is considerably cooler ambient temperature.

Is it possible that a temperature sensor overheated and is now giving false readings? The bike is running hot, no doubt, but the rear cylinder seems to be shutting down far too readily now. I'm thinking maybe the extreme heat on the turnpike could have did a bit of damage. Other than that, bike runs like a champ.

Any thoughts?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, stock intake and mapping, Rinehart slipons. I know the bike is running hot because of this, and Stage 1 and TFI are coming soon, but in the mean time, this rear cylinder shutdown is driving me nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, stock intake and mapping, Rinehart slipons. I know the bike is running hot because of this, and Stage 1 and TFI are coming soon, but in the mean time, this rear cylinder shutdown is driving me nuts.

I know it's annoying listening to 1/2 of your engine running (sounds like a crazy air pump), but I look at that as a fail safe. If the ECM thinks your temp is warm enough to warrant shutting that back cylinder down, then I believe I would let it do it. It might save you some wear and tear on down the road and add some life to that motor. I would just live with it until I got the TFI on. Temps may not seem as hot, but I doubt the temp sensor is malfuntioning. You could disable it, but then you run the risk of truly over heating. Justy my $0.02.:D

Are your driving conditions the same in NY as they are in S.Florida.

Are you in more stop & go traffic now than before.?

Far more stop and go in NY (which is why I'm getting out of here as soon as possible), but it really is quite a bit cooler out. It may just be me, but it does seem to be engaging more readily. Perhaps I'm just fed up with the traffic...

As a side note, if you plan on taking a trip to the fine City of New York, bring a dirt bike instead. These roads are horrendous.

My worst nightmare has me having to be anywhere near NYC for any length of time. Hope you can get out soon for your sake and the bikes sake.....Get that stage 1 done.

Bodeen

Far more stop and go in NY (which is why I'm getting out of here as soon as possible), but it really is quite a bit cooler out. It may just be me, but it does seem to be engaging more readily. Perhaps I'm just fed up with the traffic...

As a side note, if you plan on taking a trip to the fine City of New York, bring a dirt bike instead. These roads are horrendous.

It may just be me, but it does seem to be engaging more readily.

It probably is engaging more often. Ambient Temperature is important but more important is forward velocity.

I bet once you get by home, everything will be the same as when you left.

Back