free website stats program Overflow line leaking gas | Harley Davidson Forums

Overflow line leaking gas

zuckie

Hello all, I'm zuckie from Anaheim,CA. I have 2 2000 883 Sportsters. My question is, My carburetor overflow line is leaking. I recently replaced my petcock. I plugged the vacuum line because the new petcock does use one. Could this be the reason why there is overflow now. Should I not plug the vacuum line. Thanks.

If you're getting fuel out the overflow tube on the carb, you could have debris from the tank stuck in the needle and seat area in the float bowl keeping it open a bit. Plugging the vacuum line should have no bearing on this.

Drop the bowl and remove the needle and seat. Then clean them out with either compressed air or carb cleaner in a spray can.

The tip of a carb float needle is coated in a thin layer of some type of rubbery substance after a number of years of use it can harden and not seal correctly
so if after cleaning the carb and checking the float height it still overflows consider replacing the float needle
was a common problem on bing carbs fitted to bmw
had the same problem on my 92 softail new float needle and now sorted

Brian

Do you know of any good tutorials or how to's that show pictures of bowl removal and cleaning. Thanks

Back