free website stats program Orange 'engine shaped' warning light | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Orange 'engine shaped' warning light

Oh dear..:(
fuel pump, diagnostics, electronic ignition modules and speedo, tacho etc etc,

give me a gravity fed carb, a set of points and a magneto any day....wonder if any one does a conversion kit to go back to points:33:

Neil, while I am like you regarding old technology, the wave of the future is new technology, but a double edged sword, but it is the wave of the future, for better or worse. Fact is, the electronic ignition and fuel injection systems used have plenty of "dated" heritage from Bosch and other OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) who steadily improved their patented systems reliability and longevity to the point every major manufacturer uses their technology.

Gravity fed carbs, points and magnetos all had their own unique problems and while most of their problems have been sorted out as well, in these times, the EFI, ECM and the rest have had plenty of time to be debugged and are actually very LOW MAINTENANCE over the life of the bike once they are setup to your liking...give 'em a chance to grow on ya!!! :bigsmiley24:

Of course you are all right, I am sure they are all reliable enough, I just like things simple and easy to fix without a computer or list of diagnostic codes to tell me what is wrong.
I like to be able to look at it and fix it myself...cheaply

Anyway, my bike still has a carb, not FI.

Anyone know how long Harley have used electronic ignition? may have to look out for one from before then.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back