free website stats program Opinions PLEASE | Harley Davidson Forums

Opinions PLEASE

dunhill225

Thinking about attending. No I will not consider myself to be some expert afterwards but I keep thinking about how an old friend used to tell me that it wasn't actually "hard" to build a bike from scratch with all good working parts. He used to tell me it was just a big puzzle. Now he was a natural so I'm sure it came easy to him but how far off could he be? So I saw this school and read some reviews and for a cpl days out of my life...If I can swing the money. .. does it seem like it's worth it for some one that considers themself to be intelligent but with no real mechanical experience? I would also stay the extra day for the welding class.
So anyway...any opinions? ?

How To Build A Chopper – Redline Chopper School Seminars
How To Build A Chopper Redline Chopper School Seminars

Last edited by a moderator:
Copied from O.P. "with no real mechanical experience?"

I just looked over the contents of the class, and based on your statement above, I'd say no. It will cover many of the intricate parts of building, like offsets, spacing, wiring, etc., that will leave you wondering. Bike building IS like a big puzzle. I think you would get more from basics first.

I agree with Breeze here. Start with the routine maint. on your own bike and maybe help a buddy or two install some parts. Get some experience with the how and why of a bike before you spend $$ on how to build one. The one day welding class won't even scratch the surface. If you want to learn to weld go to your nearest junior college and take a welding class, it will be worth your $$ and time.

Thanks guys. The more I think about it and the more opinions I get.... what I'm thinking now is 1) yes find an adult ed welding class or something similar for n the basics.
2) either pic up a piece of (EDIT) old bike to tear down and try and rebuild OR look for someone's half done project from craigs list that they lost interest money or time to finish and put that together over time.

So which option of those two sounds best? I know I may learn more ripping and and rebuilding a basket case but I think the half done project idea would be the best bet for a finished product??

Opinions on these options??

Thank you..

Please read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you are going to follow out project to the end with a clear and concise
plan of attack and have a definite amount of cash to dispose of to complete build to desired spec, otherwise your project may also end up on craigslist or be a basket case that will sit forever. When choppers were the all the fad, there were many choppers in a box that started around $10,000 to $15,000 and many never were brought to life. Then there is the whole process of trying to register the home made vehicle with the Dept. Of Motor Vehicles which is usually not a easy task.
So before committing to any project you have to have a start point and a finish point with the funds to keep it flowing to the end.

Buying someone's 1/2 done project might be more problems than it's worth. It might be 1/2 done for a reason. People buy parts that could never or should never go together. If you're not a skilled fabricator making parts fit is not hard it's impossible. Get your feet wet by maintaining and slightly modifying your bike. Start with small weekend projects that you have studied and know the beginning and end. If you go the route of buying an old beator bike with the intention of rebuilding it you're opening up a whole other can of worms. By the way I'm a retired toolmaker and I have helped a couple of buddies built their of bike. One was a "kit" bike from a very respected custom builder. It was supposed to be a "snap" if you had a little mechanical skill, but that is another story.

I have never done a build from scratch and although I am sure it is possible there a few skills that may be required that I can not do (welding) and the buddies I have had that have done welding for me are no longer available
I have done complete restorations part restorations and a build from a box of bits
Personally I think doing a restoration of beat up old bike is a good starting point as most of it should be there yes there will be issues but resolving them is where you learn but you will know at the outset that you can make a good bike out of what you have
In my experience it costs more to do a restoration than to buy a restored bike but the restoration of a bike makes it yours and you learn a lot about yourself during the project
Just remember if it was easy everyone would do it and all projects would get completed

Brian

Back