free website stats program opinions on baffles for short shots | Harley Davidson Forums

opinions on baffles for short shots

johndeeredr

got a 08 fatboy with vance hines shortshots. love the sound but a bit louder than i like anymore, guess im getting old, bought a set set there quiet baffles and was wondering if i need to install the wrap that came with the baffles. do they make that much of a change if i do or do not? reason im asking is i looks like im going to have to remove the exhaust pipes to install them and i only want to do that once. also do i have to replace the gaskets on the header pipes every time i remove them from the cylinder heads? thanks !

You do not need to remove the whole pipe. If you look at the end of the exhaust there is a single screw on the inside. This screw holds on the baffle. Next slightly loosen the pipe clamp (holding the heat shield) closest to the end of the pipe. This clamp applies enough pressure to keep the baffle in place. Once the clamp is loosened and the screw is out the baffle should slide right out.

If I were you I would wrap the baffle in the supplied wrap. Although you can try it without the wrap first and see which you prefer. It's up to you.

Yes, if you ever do remove the pipes (which you dont need to in your case) you will need to replace the gasket. I prefer the screamin eagle gaskets over the crush gaskets. They are less expensive and easier to work with in my opinion. Good luck

let me know how they turn out i might want a set myself. can i ask were and how much you paid for them . tks mike

I would install the baffle packing. It will burn out some as riding and the pipes will become louder.

good to know that i dont have to remove the pipes, thanks for the advise. cajun, i bought them on ebay punch in part no. 1861-0072 and they will come up. paid 89 dollars for a set and that included shipping. i will update this post tommorow when i install them and let you know the outcome

I just put quiet baffles in my Big Shots staggered. I had to remove the entire heat shield, but I guess on Short Shots you don't. I did not remove the pipes.

DO put the wrap on. It is gives the glass pack effect and does help. But you will have to wrap the fiberglass wrap with clear scotch tape to keep it from getting damaged on install. I wrapped a bunch of tape on mine, then they went in smooth as silk. The tape will melt off after running.

My quiet baffles are only a small bit quieter, BUT the frequency and tone is different. A deeper more Harley sound and less of the blap blap of the straight pipes. By the way mine had standard baffles that had to be removed first. They are nothing more that straight open end pipe sections with perforations on the circumference.

Good luck with it, you will love the sound of the quiet baffles. I find riding is more easier on my ears (even though they are still loud) since the frequency of the harmonics is different.

just got threw installing these baffles, had to totally remove the pipes from motor, no way to remove heat shields enough to get to the retaining bolt for the baffles. replaced header pipe gaskets with oem. verdict? love the sound, gives it a deeper tone without the blat blat blat. installed the heat wrap has recommended. thanks for all the input brothers. :cheers

just got threw installing these baffles, had to totally remove the pipes from motor, no way to remove heat shields enough to get to the retaining bolt for the baffles. replaced header pipe gaskets with oem. verdict? love the sound, gives it a deeper tone without the blat blat blat. installed the heat wrap has recommended. thanks for all the input brothers. :cheers

Don't know bout short shots, but though I was gonna have to take my pipes off to get baffles in the big shots. But found by removing the heat shied end caps first, it gave just enough circumferal clearance to rotate the heat shields out and off.

But glad you got it, you will love the quiet baffles one of the better liked items I've added to my bike.

Back