free website stats program OK.....or Not? | Harley Davidson Forums

OK.....or Not?

Duffer

09 FXDL. Can I run the motor long enough to depressurize the fuel system with no fluid in the tranny? Putting in a longer clutch cable and need to pull the tank and clutch release cover. Was doing an engine and trans fluid change and unfortunately didn’t think about it until AFTER I pulled the plug. Hate to fill the trans with fresh fluid just to run for a couple of minutes.
Is there another way to depressurize the fuel system or disconnect the fuel line without starting the engine or making a huge mess?:small3d023:

I've popped mine off without depressurizing and without any mess at all. Maybe a couple of drops of gasoline, but that was it.

IN THEORY you can run a motor or transmission for a while without any oil in it. I have done this before for very short lengths of time but it was under two pre existing conditions, no exceptions; First, the motor or transmission had oil in it prior to this so that all internal parts had a coating on them, second and MOST IMPORTANTLY the motor and or transmission being run without oil was NOT UNDER ANY LOAD. Running just enough to empty a fuel line will not hurt it, just don't do any burnouts in the process!!!!

Probably it's fine - but you can always throw your new oil in, do what ya gotta do, drain it into a clean container to do you cable work, and put it back when done.

First off (like previous posters said) you don't really have to turn the engine. I just wrap a big towel around the disconnect before I release it. It only sprays a second or so.

And second off you don't run the engine, you pull the fuel pump fuse and turn the engine over a few times with the starter. It would not be enough to harm the trans or anything else.

First off (like previous posters said) you don't really have to turn the engine. I just wrap a big towel around the disconnect before I release it. It only sprays a second or so.

And second off you don't run the engine, you pull the fuel pump fuse and turn the engine over a few times with the starter. It would not be enough to harm the trans or anything else.

Actually I guess it could start up but mine never did, it would just turn over with fuse pulled. In any case if I were you I wouldn't fool with that just wrap a towel. Sorry if I mislead you since the manual does say to start the engine.

You are right of course. As soon as I pulled the fuel pump fuse a light went on in my otherwise dim head, like hey this thing aint gonna start! Cranked her over a second or two, grabbed a rag and popped the fuel line off no problem. My never ending desire to over think most things never ceases to amaze me ( and amuse my friends lol). Thanks for all the answers and putting up with the “DUH” stuff. It’s appreciated

You are right of course. As soon as I pulled the fuel pump fuse a light went on in my otherwise dim head, like hey this thing aint gonna start! Cranked her over a second or two, grabbed a rag and popped the fuel line off no problem. My never ending desire to over think most things never ceases to amaze me ( and amuse my friends lol). Thanks for all the answers and putting up with the “DUH” stuff. It’s appreciated

Sometimes I think the manual words things to cover all scenarios. I surmise (though I have never tried it) that if you first turned the key prior to pulling the fuse, the fuel pump would start and build pressure. Then if you turned the key off and pulled the fuse, and turned it over, there could be enough pressure and fuel in the line to start the engine.

Of course this scenario would be somewhat senseless but none the less possible.

That is the scenario...the engine may start and run, but for a few seconds when no fuel pressure and flow drop so nothing is left for the injectors to spray...:)

Back