free website stats program Oil Sending unit removal?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Sending unit removal??

Doug S

Hi,

If I remove the sending unit, do I need to drain the oil bag first? - Will it drain out through the sending unit hole?

94 FXSTC..Trying to work through the worst Indy experience I've had...Had the lifters and cam bearing changed @30K, was hearing some excessive tapping and thought it was a good Idea to take it in..Not!

Besides not fixing the tap, causing a leak on my Stator plug-(don't ask..I'm EDIT), I now have a leak either on the rear lifter block, oil sending unit or the bolt that goes through the cases and comes out right behind the sending unit. The guy was such a putz I want to make sure he did not crack the cases putting the sending unit back in. I also found that he tightened the little nut on top of it so tight that the shaft spins so I'm worried he twisted that tappered sending unit in just as hard...

Thanks
Doug

Please read and understand the info in this link below...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug, It sounds like you have mechanical know-how. You should know better than to let other people touch your stuff.:D

Hoople,

You are so right, and yes, I'm kicking myself.

Took the sending unit out and cleaned things up, didn't see any cracks so reinstalled with some pipe dope. It wasn't much of a leak to begin with so I'll have to give it some time. Also saw some dampness where the pickup wire comes out of the cam cover but there was not much oil in there, I'll bet he didn't change the cam seal in the cover...Like most of us, I hate leaks...

D

Back