Oil out the air cleaner

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by Scrounger, May 22, 2010.

1. Scrounger

Scrounger Active Member

Question for the wrenches. Installed a V&H VO2 on the new Limited and notices that it is dripping/blowing a bit of oil out and down onto the timing cover area. Not a clue as to what would cause this one. Could it be the new filter has a bit too much oil in it. Engine oil level is fine and the first 1000 service is getting ready to take place.

2. kemo

kemo R.I.P

If you oiled the filter it could be very possible that you over oiled it. On my bike when I change the engine oil I put in 3 1/2 qt's, run it that way for a 1000 miles and then add the rest of the bottle of oil. Did it drip before the air filter change?
    kemo

3. Scrounger

Scrounger Active Member

The filter was part of the V&H VO2 and was installed before the stock bike had 20 miles on it. It started to leak after about 300 miles. I never oil the filter it was as it came from V&H. The oil looks like it came out the breather tubes when I take the filter off. Bike has a 1000 miles on it now.

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

You may get some oil blow back on a new bike until the rings seat in. Compression leaks past the rings and forces oil out the breathers into the air filter.