free website stats program Oil foam | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil foam

mercell

Have a 1200 sportster when checking the oil Hot have foam ? Use syn 3 oil is this normal , also get several different answers on oil level check from fellow riders when hot oil is between hash marks manual says to top off friends say that's too much ?? Thanks:bigsmiley25:

Some foam is normal after running. Oil gets a lot of air mixed in the journey through the engine. Check owners manual for oil level check procedure. It's better to be a little low than a little over.

OK thanks for the input just need to sit at the pump a little longer I guess. The owners manual says to take it up to the top line on the stick but other Harley riders I ride with say this will cause oil to blow out??? I would think that if the motor is running the way it should it will be OK guess a bit under the full mark will work.Thanks again..

I do not have a Sportster but running oil below full mark is the way to go, helps prevent oil into the air cleaner. I run mine about half way between full and low.

my soft tail likes the oil level about 3/4 way up the stick between full and low,my bike also gets a little foam in the oil after a long ride i run Mobil1 v-twin 20w50

Back