free website stats program oil filler cap | Harley Davidson Forums

oil filler cap

HI ALL: Jackdaniels here.I have a problem with my oil filler cap. When I giver her full throttle for a while it seem to blow the cap out a bit like theres to mutch pressure.The filler cap is brand new and is hard to get it off to check the oil.The oil is bran new just changed and is right an thre mark cooled or hot.Any ideasfrom the good folk in the forum. thanks Jackjdaniels

Sounds like you may be building to much crank case pressure, could be what Mat suggested, to much oil. Maybe a plugged vent hose?

Have you done anything to the bike recently? Like in the cam chest? Early twin cams were very fussy about perfect oil pump alignment. If you haven't been in there, disregard.

This is probably not your situation. . . I just looked at my HD Service Manual, it seems to mention different amounts of oil to use. It said to put in 3 quarts when it is "dry", but only add 2 & 1/2 when "wet". (As if--wet, when you change the oil and, "dry" when you just assembled the motor.) I can't find my Owners Manual right now, but what if it only says that my Harley holds 3 quarts of oil?

Maybe a real mechanic (as in, not me) can comment on this. Do Harleys hold about a half a quart after you drain them? Are all Harleys alike in this way?

:44:

This is probably not your situation. . . I just looked at my HD Service Manual, it seems to mention different amounts of oil to use. It said to put in 3 quarts when it is "dry", but only add 2 & 1/2 when "wet". (As if--wet, when you change the oil and, "dry" when you just assembled the motor.) I can't find my Owners Manual right now, but what if it only says that my Harley holds 3 quarts of oil?

Maybe a real mechanic (as in, not me) can comment on this. Do Harleys hold about a half a quart after you drain them? Are all Harleys alike in this way?

:44:
There will always be about 1/2 quart of oil in the case and oil galleries that will not get drained out during an oil change. Years ago some after market cases like STD and Delkron had drains or trap doors to facilitate this

Back