free website stats program Oil Cooler | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Cooler

If you are going to run in 80-100degee ambiant temperature and you like your bike,I think the cooler is necessary,if it cools it 10degrees that is 40 degrees at the crank,It is impossible for it to lower pressure,unless it is so low on oil that there is air going through the oil pump.The motor oil I like is Mobil I V-Twin,

Explain this

Al

Any time additional restriction is added pressure will drop. Oil coolers that are designed to turbulate the oil do so by adding a form of restriction to the cooler tubing to mix the oil. The idea is to cool the oil more efficiently by turbulating/mixing rather than just the outside of the stream being cooled. The coolers I've looked at use wording such as restriction, or less restrictive, etc. It's a way of not sticking the words "oil pressure drop" in a buyers face. However it presented doesn't really matter. Restriction still equates to pressure drop, as large or small as it may be.

Any time additional restriction is added pressure will drop. Oil coolers that are designed to turbulate the oil do so by adding a form of restriction to the cooler tubing to mix the oil. The idea is to cool the oil more efficiently by turbulating/mixing rather than just the outside of the stream being cooled. The coolers I've looked at use wording such as restriction, or less restrictive, etc. It's a way of not sticking the words "oil pressure drop" in a buyers face. However it presented doesn't really matter. Restriction still equates to pressure drop, as large or small as it may be.

Your explanation is in direct alignment of your statement.

One must take into consideration the by pass system of the oil pump.
The pump volume is greater than needed to lubricate by design because of the fluctuation in it's operating rpm. Hence the need for the bypass to govern the pressure. This built in design keeps the pressure constant by bypassing the excess volume produced by higher rpm back into the reservoir.

:)Unmeasurable.

Al

:USA

:CONNECTICUT

Oil is used to reduce friction, as a film, between loosely connected sliding, meshing, and or rotating moving parts in these air cooled H D engines.

The only part oil cools is the head of the piston from the underside which has around 400*F combustion temperature in direct contact above.

Simple, combustion makes the oil hot along with the cylinders and heads., Combustion is the force that creates the power.

You want power, you must except the heat.

Al

Your explanation is in direct alignment of your statement.

One must take into consideration the by pass system of the oil pump.
The pump volume is greater than needed to lubricate by design because of the fluctuation in it's operating rpm. Hence the need for the bypass to govern the pressure. This built in design keeps the pressure constant by bypassing the excess volume produced by higher rpm back into the reservoir.

:)Unmeasurable.

Al

Increased restriction equals less pressure. No need to make this more difficult than it needs to be. It's a very basic principle.

If someone feels the need to run an oil cooler, then they have every right to tweak their ride however they see fit. Shoot, might as well slap on a larger pan and add an additional quart of oil to go with it. I personally just don't see the need for one if the bike is tuned properly and running a good quality synthetic oil.

Increased restriction equals less pressure. No need to make this more difficult than it needs to be. It's a very basic principle.

If someone feels the need to run an oil cooler, then they have every right to tweak their ride however they see fit. Shoot, might as well slap on a larger pan and add an additional quart of oil to go with it. I personally just don't see the need for one if the bike is tuned properly and running a good quality synthetic oil.

So how come with the same consistant flow if you squeeze off a water hose the pressure increases?

My guess is the minor restriction of the cooler will lower the oil pressure slightly or it may be that slightly less oil volume will flow after the cooler. This very slight reduction of volume or pressure (take your pick) indicates less oil will get to the engine in the same amount of time. I have never seen a diagram of the oil passages and probably wouldn't understand it if I did but I would bet that the restriction of the oil passages would cause the same effect as the oil cooler pressure/volume drop.

Eventually all the oil has to get pack to the tank/pan so it is a question of how quickly it does this. If it doesn't do it quickly enough some parts would be starved of oil. Like the Jagg site says, they try to balance the cooling with the pressure drop.

I am going to install a cooler but to be honest, I will probably nevery know if it helped or hurt the engine. I figure it can't hurt but to be truthful, it may not help at all.

Anybody tried one of the "Oil Bud" coolers that mount on the bottom of the frame. Saw it in American Bagger magazine this month, and it looked pretty impressive. Alot more cooling surface than others I have seen.

I'm surprised someone hasn't designed an oil pan with aluminum or stainless pipes running longitudinally on the bottom or a pan with aluminum fins hanging down. Seems like it would be more effective in cooling the oil.

Back