free website stats program Oil Cooler Question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Cooler Question

Thanks Nakkers, that makes a lot of sense. Makes me wonder why HD don't build their bikes with an oil cooler in the first place though! Still, I want to grow old together with my Road King, so I guess I better stump up some cash and buy an oil cooler for her!

Thanks Nakkers, that makes a lot of sense. Makes me wonder why HD don't build their bikes with an oil cooler in the first place though! Still, I want to grow old together with my Road King, so I guess I better stump up some cash and buy an oil cooler for her!

So they can sell you parts at inflated prices:s

Whatever prices you guys are payin' are still 30 to 40% cheaper than what I have to pay in Japan! My Road King Classic cost me just a whisker off $30,000! (Still the Yen/Dollar exchange rate is great for me right now, so I can't complain too much!)

Whatever prices you guys are payin' are still 30 to 40% cheaper than what I have to pay in Japan! My Road King Classic cost me just a whisker off $30,000! (Still the Yen/Dollar exchange rate is great for me right now, so I can't complain too much!)

Happy riding how much is gas there?:s

An oil cooler is a another way for the overall engine to shed heat generated by combustion. When oil comes in contact with engine bearings and parts like the cylinder heads, as long as the oil is cooler than the metal part, it will take on or absorb heat from that metal part. Now if there is some way for the oil to release this heat to the atmosphere (oil cooler), it can go back in and pick up more heat. The oil can do this over and over again in a big loop fashion. Any part that the oil comes in contact with, heat from those parts will transfer to the oil. On late model engines there are oil jets that spray oil to the underneath area of the piston and skirt in order to help reduce heat.

The only issue you have with an oil cooler is that the bike needs to be in motion for the oil to dump it's heat to the atmosphere. It really does not do a whole bunch of good if your sitting still in traffic and that's the time you need it most.

Hoop is partially correct, but most of your better oil cooler brands design them with internal vanes within the cooling tubes, (kinda like rifling in a firearm) increasing the surface area while stirring the oil so all the hot oil comes in contact with the cooler tube sides due to that turbulance ("Turbulator" fin design is advertised by Jagg, HD, Haydan and other oil cooler makers).

Since the outside air temperature is still around 120 degs F to 150 deg F in the desert, there is still a substantial temperature differential with the 250 deg F hot oil, so cooling proceeds even in stopped traffic, as convection air flow still rises upward at the cooler as the oil is dynamically being forced thru it with engine idle stepped up to 1500 RPM on EFI equipped bikes .

Last edited:
Yeah, partially...LOL! I am trying to be impartial...nothing gets by the ol' Hoop! :rofl

Back