free website stats program Oil Cooler? Needed? Why? | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Cooler? Needed? Why?

DDogg

I own a 08 Dyna FatBob. I bought the bike in August and rode on a few hot days. I could tell the bike was hot. How hot, don't know. I'm going to be taking it to a Stage one as soon as old man winter says so. What constitues an oil cooler? Should we know what our oil temp is? I know going to a Stage one with more air and TFI will cool it down some. But how many of you out there have a temp gauge and oil cooler. If so, what would be the best way to go? I've seen a temp gauge on the cap. Accurate? And how hot is hot?
How hot on the oil temperature tells us we got problems. Thanks.

Do you have to have it no .. but i will have one before riding season starts .. nothing worse to a oil than thermal breakdown

You do not need an oil cooler.
But there are a lot of things in this world you do not need that are nice to have.
Oil cooler will help reduce engine temps on hot days when riding.
It will not cool a lot. Many feel any little bit helps.
Good quialty true sny oil and lube plus a stage1 and an oil cooler works.
each helps a little the 3 all add up make a difference.
Stand by for a lot of reading there will be a few replys to this thread
Vist the Jagg site FAQ page good reading also and the self help section here.

IMO Smitty sums it up very well. There is a thread going now (HD Turbulator) that has several comments about oil coolers. There are other threads about this but can recall there location off hand.

The analog guages are the best and pretty accurate too. The oil temps should range between 200*-240* without a problem. An cooler is a good investment to keep the oil working the best but use a thermostat in the setup.

I have the HD Premium oil cooler kit on my Ultra (PN 26155-07) as well as the oil temperature gauge - fairing mount (PN 75324-05) to replace the useless (IMHO) air temperature gauge with something worth having. My temp runs around 180° - 200° when I am cruising. The cooler has a built in thermostat that bypasses the cooler when the oil is cold so it warms up normally.

Part number for a cooler for your steed would be 26151-07 and comes with a nice chrome cover that looks really nice. MSRP for the cooler is $299.95.

That LCD dipstick (PN 63004-09) is pretty cool looking but I darn-near dropped it at the HD shop the other day when I flipped the box over and looked at the tag. The one for the 07+ touring bikes are $139.95!

I've had oil coolers on 3 of the 4 Harleys I've owned. I think they keep the motor cooler in the summer when the free air temp (here in Florida) hits 90°+ and you are rolling. Sitting still in traffic, they don't do squat.

That LCD dipstick (PN 63004-09) is pretty cool looking but I darn-near dropped it at the HD shop the other day when I flipped the box over and looked at the tag. The one for the 07+ touring bikes are $139.95!

Problem is they don't have a long life expectancy even for that price.

Does anyone make a good Analog one for the 07 08's? all i seen is the lcd one harley offers

I thought there was an analog temp guage kit in the Multi-fit section at the HD dealer. Might look in the new 2009 HD Accessories Bible to be sure...! And it is okay if you drop the book when you see the price...as long as it is not on your foot! :D

Back