free website stats program Oil coming out of the air cleaner | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil coming out of the air cleaner

Craig8558

I had my motor rebuild about a year ago. I ride a 96 softtail with an 80" evo. I did have an andrews ev-27 cam installed. I have a problem with oil coming out of my air cleaner after rideing in the mountians. It seems like when I am under load going up the hills it looses some power. Also I don't have the oil coming out of the air cleaner when I am just riding on flat ground not going up hills and putting the motor under extra load. Is this common with the evo?

I had my motor rebuild about a year ago. I ride a 96 softtail with an 80" evo. I did have an andrews ev-27 cam installed. I have a problem with oil coming out of my air cleaner after rideing in the mountians. It seems like when I am under load going up the hills it looses some power. Also I don't have the oil coming out of the air cleaner when I am just riding on flat ground not going up hills and putting the motor under extra load. Is this common with the evo?

SEEMED to me I had this problem on my 97 fxds.... memory serves me right??? I went into the cam area for squirrel cage oil return ?? and did some modification on the oil return cage.... Might need smoothing n enlarging( i used my die grinder.) but what ever I did? it worked BETTER by removing the sump oil....Hope this will help you...

signed....BUBBIE

Maybe some one here will remember the problem....

THIS is an EVO bike so i think the misaligned oil pump doesnit apply here..

The oil level is ok, it's not too full. It has done it when ever I am under load going up hills. Riding on flat ground it does not have this problem. What more info is needed?

Last edited:
Could be the breather gear in the nose of the engine. They were made of plastic and it doesn't take much to mess them up. Only problem is you have to pull the nose cone off to check it out.

May also be the head breathers which would be more of a possibility.

I think glider is probably right on the unbrella valves in the rocker boxes, I had this problem on my '94 FLSTC, with an EV27, rebuilt at 136,000mi.. I use the breather kit from J&P page 465 09 cat. part #4000305. I run a hose from the crossover down under my right floorboard and put a clear fuel filter (Auto Zone) with 3/8 barb on the end. The filter keeps the oil that does come out from getting on the garage floor. Usually change the fuel filter about every other oil change.

Back