free website stats program Oil change with Bike on jiffy stand? | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil change with Bike on jiffy stand?

diver4life

Good Morning Guys! My bike has 220 miles and I want to make the oil change before the 1000 miles oil change recommended by the MOCO. Im, planing to
use the same type of oil that the bike came with and at the 1000 miles I'm going to follow the oil type recommendation by Glider. My question is if I can do the 3 oil changes with the bike on the jiffy stand. (I don't have a jack yet). Also do I have to replace the o-rings of the drain plugs/derby cover seal with every oil change?
Thanks Gusys.

Ok so for the primary have to be vertical, what about the engine and trans? need to be vertical ? also do you change the o-rings of the drain plugs for each oil change? and the derby seal? Thanks.

I change the rings every other time I dump fluids - probably should do each time, but they still look good when I inspect. Also, recommend you get some better oil in the scoot. Recommend synthetic in the engine & tranny (I use Mobil-1) and Spectro in the Primary. Your scoot will thank you...;)

Iceman That is what I'm going to put in to my bike at the 1000 miles oil change. My bike still under break-in process. Thanks for youre response buddy.

I was thinking to use Amsoil for the engine and tranny, what do you think.

Actually what I was thinking to use is Amsoil or Mobil 1 for engine and spectro 6 speed for the tranny. Also can I use the Amsoil for the primary?

Last edited by a moderator:
I drain the fluids on the jiffy stand for speed and simplicity after warming the bike with a 20-30 minute ride or more. Since I know the exact amount of fluids to put in ala "Hobbit" method, doing the Derby cover pull and entire primary cover route the first time...I just find it easier and quick.

I pitched the o-ring and use a tight fitting fiber washer so no need to change o-ring...ever! Since oil level is checked on the jiffy stand (for my year Sporty anyway), I choose to do it this way...

I ride to keep them "--wheels goin' round and round..." (a Harley IS more like a tractor then a bus)! Sorry, my mind wandered 'bout me singing to my grandson Jake last weekend...

Last edited:
Thanks NewHD.

Do you guys apply something to the bolts/drain plugs like locktite or something similar so they do'nt get loose? Does teflon paste will work? Asking because I just saw a couple of videos where the mechanic applied paste teflon to the drain plugs before installing them back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iceman That is what I'm going to put in to my bike at the 1000 miles oil change. My bike still under break-in process. Thanks for youre response buddy.

I was thinking to use Amsoil for the engine and tranny, what do you think.

Actually what I was thinking to use is Amsoil or Mobil 1 for engine and spectro 6 speed for the tranny. Also can I use the Amsoil for the primary?

Have you followed glider's new engine break-in procedure? If not, look in the Self-Help tips...I've only used Amsoil in my snowmobile engines so can't really advise for m/c's...although other members/riders swear by it. Look for advice in oil section, or do a search for Amsoil & see what other posts have to say...Good Luck!

Back