free website stats program Oil Carryover To The Air Filter | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Carryover To The Air Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

glider.

BOT Machine
If you have been troubled with engine oil dripping out of the air filter housing ,oil on the right bag/engine or on your leg here's some info on a cure for this.

None working link (removed)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having that problem now, and to make things worse, I took the V&H air cleaner off to remove the residual oil on the backing plate and reinstalled the air cleaner and now it will not idle, and if it does idle it is way low. If i ride it, and down shift, it pops alot when i'm off the gas. I made no adjustments to anything, I just cleaned the oil up! :small3d023:

If you have added any oil, it may be over full or there may be a problem with the scavenging side of the oil pump, possibly a misalignment of the oil pump too may cause this. Also check the breather tubes for obstructions.

it was running fine before i wiped up the oil. I have an Arlen Ness big sucker on it with a K&N filter on it. I know that the oil does vents up there from the top of the heads so a little oil is normal. Maybe I'll let Harley figure it out.

I was reading about upgrading to the hydraulic cam chain tensioner and it has a higher volume oil pump. The article said that the old pump has a smaller return opening which can cause a reduced flow of oil resulting in foaming that can cause some oil to drip from the intake. My $.02

If you have a twin cam puking oil out you're air breather the oil pump is more then likely out of align.

View attachment 5767
before things get too complicated, read up on the oil filter changes harley has made with regard to the various engines. the evo engine uses a different filter than a twin cam etc. and they mention the puking oil thru breather if the right filter isnt used..

Hopefully it was just overfilled like Mr. Data pointed out, just a little above the line is all it takes, that why it is so important to have the engine at full operating temp when checking engine oil.

before things get too complicated, read up on the oil filter changes harley has made with regard to the various engines. the evo engine uses a different filter than a twin cam etc. and they mention the puking oil thru breather if the right filter isnt used..

I'm sure the OP knows which oil filter he should be running but in hind site, the oil pump alignment is the cause of many of these engines puking out the air filter as Chopper mentions. I'm quite sure that in his 19 or so years as a dealer tech that Chopper knows his way around better than most.:s

Besides it's posted in the self help area for anyone to read...

10 Micron vs 30 Micron Oil filters - Harley Davidson Community

lostgringo you did have a good point about the oil filter, if it was a evo with a 5 micron filter installed, it could restrict the oil flow and cause the carryover, but on a twin cam if the 30 micron filter was installed it would not be too restrictive, it just would not filter the oil as it needs to be for a twin cam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back